69 Camaro has become really hard Starting? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69 Camaro has become really hard Starting?

Hi,

Looking for some help...please

My 69 Camaro has become a real "bear" to get started after it sits for two weeks? This had not really been the case in the past? Trying to think if I changed anything that could be root cause to a change? The gas filter is new but same type I always use, so no change there.

The starter is new. The carb is 2 plus years old and was a brand new Edelbrock that I bought, Thunder series 4 bbl.

Here is the symptom-car cranks and cranks- repeat cranking 6 and 7 times before it seems gas is getting to carb to start engine. When gas seems to arrive car starts right up. What do you think is happening? Worth noting, the car is running great once started. Strong and smoothe, no hesitation or misfiring at all. Plugs were replaced 1000 miles ago and car was starting right up back then. Old plugs looked real clean.

Could the starter not be cranking hard enough to push fuel pump hard enough to get gas up quickly to carb? Could there be problem with carb? could fuel pump (edelbrock 1721 I think) be on the way out? Although car runs great when driving...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: 69 Camaro has become really hard Starting?

Could the float bowl be empty after sitting for two weeks? Check to see if there is a accelerator pump shot before you crank it the first time.

Jeff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I do pump the pedal to the floor once before cranking...what should I be looking for at the carb after that one good pedal to the metal?

thanks
Joe

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

If you have the stock points ignition, make sure the wire from the starter solenoid (believe it's the small terminal furthest away from the block) is still connected up to the + terminal on the coil to give 12 volts when cranking. I had one come off years ago, what a pain to start.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
I do pump the pedal to the floor once before cranking...what should I be looking for at the carb after that one good pedal to the metal?

thanks
Joe
you'll need to remove the air cleaner and have someone else pump the gas pedal once to see if gas is squirting down the front barrels.

Jody

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Before you pump it the first time remove the air cleaner and look down it while you pump the gas . You should see a pump shot if there is gas in the bowl. You want to see a good strong pump shot not just a mist or sputter. If the bowl is empty you need to determine if it leaks out or evaporates.

Jeff
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

After you park the car and it's hot, especially with an edelbrock (from what I have noticed) the fuel evaporates from the heat, if you are running a mechanical fuel pump, it has to refill the bowls, this takes a few revolutions, if you had an electric fuel pump, it would probably fire right up.

No big deal, a lot of our cars do this.

After sitting a while mine takes a min or two and a good 5-8 pumps, a lot of people hold the pedal to the floor after a few pumps while cranking.

Take the top of the carb off and re-set the fuel floats, mine were way too high, and would stall under a low speed sharp turn because of this.
The owners manual will tell you how to do this, it is easy.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 04:30 PM
Team Member
John

With today's fuels, fuel in the float bowl will evaporate on almost any carbureted car if it sits for 2-3 weeks; if any of mine sit that long (and at the end of winter garage storage), I fill the float bowl first through the bowl vent tube. They start right up without cranking until the pump can fill the float bowl, which is hard on the battery and starter. An infant formula syringe or restaurant plastic ketchup dispenser bottle works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fill1650.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	12154  

JohnZ
CRG
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am going to try a different type fuel filter...my friend said my filter may be to large and causing to much fuel to have to fill the filter and then move through the line and onto the carb? We will see what that yields...

thanks
Joe
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 07:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Have you checked the accelerator pump.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech

I am betting it is the Edlebrock. All of them I have tried do the same thing. None of the Holleys do it so this rules out the fuel. I no longer have anything with Quadrajet even though they are good. Try a phenolic spacer, it could improve. I have just learned to deal with mine, only one vehicle left with Edlebrock, since there isn't clearance enough to put much of a spacer in.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 09:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
kevin

like said before by johnz ..all my cars with carbs and that set..that long takes some spinning to start...of course that does help get oil pressure up .then 1st pump squirt of gas they fire up fine...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 09:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
I am going to try a different type fuel filter...my friend said my filter may be to large and causing to much fuel to have to fill the filter and then move through the line and onto the carb? We will see what that yields...

thanks
Joe
the filter is not too large................

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode