Another spark plug gap question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Another spark plug gap question

Hey guys, saw there were a lot of combos here, and esp. ignition setups etc, but here goes....

I have a what I think to be basically stock 327 in my 68, and has the delco r45ts plugs gapped at about .041" I have a mallory unilite distributor w/ accel 140001 super coil. Is this gap right? Or should I adjust it?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: Another spark plug gap question

I would think that gap somewhat large as it's not a multi spark system.. I'd go back to the .035 as stock then possibly try a bit larger but not much.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 06:47 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

points .035

HEI .045

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ok, I will try the .035 and see what happens. I was trying to figure out an extremely rough cold idle for the past week or so, and was looking at everything, and noticed most were .041, one was .045, and one was. .030! This is a newer vehicle for me (3 mos), and for some reason I didn't pull all the plugs to check them. They look good color-wise, might need a new set just to freshen up soon, but didn't know the deal w/ the gapping. I had a fuel injected import before this, and am unfamiliar with points, hei etc. I have seen the hei pics, but still. I know I know, I had a fully built, supercharged, alcohol injected setup in it though!, but sadly it was still too slow!

I was trying to check timing, but I think the balancer has slipped due to the 28 deg. initial timing it is showing! I went to remark tdc on piston 1, but the dang crank pulley bolt is spinning/stripped, which I will have to fix next. I am running 89 octane, and get no pinging though, so I guess it is good for now, but bugs me that I don't know for sure what the timing is, so I will def. fix it soon. Oh, but I did notice a torn vac. secondary diaphragm, incorrect secondary idle stop, and loose secondary throttle plate armature, which was intermittantly giving me a vac. leak due to not seating properly all the time. I tweaked that little rod, and now it is good to go, with just a little rough idle cold, but doesn't last long. Only sitting at 15" of vac. though, which sounds low as I have either a fully stock setup or a mild cam. I think it is just stock though... no real lope now that that little vac. leak was found. I need to check the manifold and replace the valve cover gaskets now that I have fixed all my other electrical glitches!

Anyways, I'll go to .035 and see what happens. I think I remember seeing that you should NOT open the gap with just an accel coil right? You would need an msd to be able to open the gap right?

Thanks,
Josh
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 06:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

im running a MSD 6AL and unilite but engine on N2O
my gaps at .035.
anything more on nitrous ill get a missfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode