Demon Carbs - you like? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Demon Carbs - you like?

I have a Barry Grant Demon (650) that came with a recent parts purchase. So far I'm not sure I like the thing. I've had to pull it several times (was brand new in the box) for float issues, jet problems, and now floods intermittently though the regular is set at 7 pounds.

Pulled it yesterday and put a rebuilt Carter AFB in its place. Runs MUCH smoother but has no serious power at WOT. The only time the Demon seems t orun right is WOT, otherwise at idle it just sucks.

-shoe

Current Projects - See my albums
68 Coupe Restomod (7-2010 to ???)
67 RS/SS Convertible project (8-2007 to ???)

Old
67 SS 396 Coupe (sold 7-12), 68 SS 350 (sold 2-12), 68 383 stroker (sold 10-09), 68 SS 350 TPI (sold 2006), 69 SS 350 (sold 1987), 68 327 (1980 Bench seat column shift), 89 RS (son totaled), 88 IROC (son totaled), 76 LT1 (roommate wrecked)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 09:38 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Re: Demon Carbs - you like?

out of all of my friends, only one person liked a Demon, all the rest hated them because of problems that you are describing. I haven't had any personal experience with one, but I based on what I've seen, I wouldn't buy one. A traditional mechanical secondary holley would be a good option, or if you have a little more $$$ a street hp holley would be a great upgrade.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 12:00 AM
Tech Team
Gav

In New Zealand our speed shops obviously got the rejects from you guys lol
a mate and myself went and bought new 625 demon jnrs...What a complete waste of time and money.the exact problems as said above.the speed shop didn't want to know about them either.....another mate has a 750 double pumper demon and it seems to be good...May be its only the smaller ones that are rubbish??
since then ive fitted a 454 with a 650 holley double pumper....and have had no issues and a completly different enjoyment driving..
Gav

Once your've had RAT.....
you'll never go back
67rs/454

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 02:54 AM
Senior Tech
Randy

contact Don Gould at FBO systems, he is a demon guy and one of the best.

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 03:45 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I haven't had any issues with my Mighty Demon. If yours is one of the older ones there could be issues with shavings in the bowls. A quick tare down and clean up should fix it.

Look up BG Tech here or on Chevelles.com.... big help

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 04:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Not a big fan of them, love the holley though!!!
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 05:03 AM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
If yours is one of the older ones there could be issues with shavings in the bowls.
This seems to be the only thing I have read about the BG carbs. I love the looks but will never buy one because of the problems that I have read about them.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I had one and hated it from the start.
alot of speedshops dont carry them anymore due to the shoddy workmanship and never ending problems.
One thing barry grant is good for is marketing skills but as far as making a carb well the above speaks for itself.
BTW the carbs are made in mexico im told.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

I jran a Demon for a while and it ran OK until it developed a leak at the inlet to the fuel bowl. I replaced it with an Edelbrock Performer that I had laying around and it ran just fine until acouple of months ago when it started to flood out when I came toa stop at an intersection.

I just rebuilt another one of my Demon carbs and put it on the other day, because I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem I currently have with the Edelbrock Performer 650 flooding out. I hope I don't run into the same problems with the Demon you guys describe while I'm trying to figure out why my car runs like crap.

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 09:28 AM

I've tried 5 of them, all different models, and ALL were just too much trouble for the effort I, and others put into them, and definitely NOT worth the money. From the "tech's" at BG telling me there was NO problem, that the issues were in other areas, of ALL my engines, to just plain dirt and shavings, all sorts of different types of screws and fasteners (looked like someone raided a hardware store for them), to one even almost bending a rod from its never holding the needle and seat closed, they are, in my OPINION, just not worth the effort. 4 were replaced by various Holley's, 3 used and rebuilt, one new, and 1 Q-jet, and they work well, ALL of them, with NO engine issues as I was assured I had, and didn't.

So, my vote is swap meet for it, you don't need the aggravation. Sell it, or, better, GIVE it to someone you do not know, that way, you won't get it back when they get really upset with it, the BG "tech's" and YOU for letting them have it.

Regards,

Milton
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 09:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I've had my 825CFM Race Demon for 9 years and it works great. Never had any problems with it.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 09:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

It's all about tuning and the problem is, just because a BG looks like a Holley doesn't mean you can tune it like one... Learn to tune it and it will perform for you. I learned the hard way, and finally took the time to watch the the tuning video and read the directions. The carb I fought with for hours was running and idling great in 15 minutes after that...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
It's all about tuning and the problem is, just because a BG looks like a Holley doesn't mean you can tune it like one... Learn to tune it and it will perform for you. I learned the hard way, and finally took the time to watch the the tuning video and read the directions. The carb I fought with for hours was running and idling great in 15 minutes after that...
luck..pure luck!!..doesnt work that way all the time..hahaha..ive watched the vids.and read also!! guess i just had a bad one!! oh well....but every carb is different and you cant tune them all like a roch.or holley i agree!!
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
I had one and hated it from the start.
alot of speedshops dont carry them anymore due to the shoddy workmanship and never ending problems.
One thing barry grant is good for is marketing skills but as far as making a carb well the above speaks for itself.
BTW the carbs are made in mexico im told.
Dawg you keep bad mouthing us on every forum you are on as well as putting out mis-information. If you are going to say something at least be truthful in it,please.

Our carburetors are made right here in the U.S. from U.S. zinc and parts unlike some of our competitors.

Technical Support At Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel Systems, Demon carburetors, Nitrous Works, & Rush Filters
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
This seems to be the only thing I have read about the BG carbs. I love the looks but will never buy one because of the problems that I have read about them.
Those issues were in the past and have been addressed on many boards yet people still talk about them like they are current. If you will search you will see where we have admitted to it , listed out what was done to correct it and in 99% of the cases you will see it was all stuff 2-3 years or older. If you want to look hard enough you will find the same complaints on competitors brands as well and I understand from a couple of our warehouses that they are starting to see the issue we had a couple of years ago showing up now on a competitors brand.

Technical Support At Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel Systems, Demon carburetors, Nitrous Works, & Rush Filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode