Intake recommendations - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Intake recommendations

Hey dudes.

I'm in the latter stages of building up my '68, all the "heavy" work is done, now on to the details

So I have a .060 over Mark IV 454, Edelbrock 454-0 aluminum heads, SRP pistons, a Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr cam, and a steel crank. Should be a good hi-revving motor for a big block.

But now I'm moving onto the intake/carb

I have the old Edelbrock Quadrajet clone (850CFM, though) and the old Performer 2-0 from the original build that I'm definitely not putting back on there. But what to replace it with?

I like the smooth look of the non-SS stock flat hood, so something that sits low would be nice; but at the same time it needs to flow to feed those huge ports on the heads. The Edelbrock Torker-2 and a Holley 850 Double Pumper seem like it might work well, but I haven't used this combo before... and with the long block set up so nicely, I don't want to mess up at the finish line with a crappy intake.

Suggestions?

Obligatory pic:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: Intake recommendations

I don't think you have a choice with those "Roval" port heads. Get the matching Edelbrock intake,...RPM Q-Jet Performer:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7164/

It will accept either the Q-Jet or 4150 Holleys. GM Performance also sells the same intake (rebranded Bowtie).

Check for gasket matching,..may need a bit of work.

Good luck!

BTW,..nice chassis work.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Thanks

Not a fan of the Torker? If so, what do you think the difference will be between the Performer RPM and the Torker? They both seem to be higher RPM intakes.

I looked at the RPM first, but it seems to sit a lot higher; which is of concern for the clearance issues.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

What you want is a ZZ454/502 GMPP take-off, or new. Its an RPM intake that's been cnc-port matched to fit the Edelbrock heads beautifully. If you even see one, you know immediately what I'm talking about.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 11:30 AM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiator View Post
Thanks

Not a fan of the Torker? If so, what do you think the difference will be between the Performer RPM and the Torker? They both seem to be higher RPM intakes.

I looked at the RPM first, but it seems to sit a lot higher; which is of concern for the clearance issues.

The Performer RPM is a great intake, and will fit under the hood if you get the right air cleaner combo on it. Do some measuring first to make sure your aftermarket subframe hasn't done something that will make me a liar.

BangShiftChad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

weiand team g and a holley 850hp!!..get a cowl hood, factory style and stop pussy-footing around and let that puppy breathe and let the world know you got a bbc under the hood...itll look silly with a fat motor and a flat hood and beating the ground!! it will look like you didnt have enough money to buy a hood!! hahaha
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangShiftChad View Post
The Performer RPM is a great intake, and will fit under the hood if you get the right air cleaner combo on it. Do some measuring first to make sure your aftermarket subframe hasn't done something that will make me a liar.
Good point about the subframe--didn't even think about that. I'll have to get the front wrap back on and do some measuring
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
weiand team g and a holley 850hp!!..get a cowl hood, factory style and stop pussy-footing around and let that puppy breathe and let the world know you got a bbc under the hood...itll look silly with a fat motor and a flat hood and beating the ground!! it will look like you didnt have enough money to buy a hood!! hahaha
Hahaha... we've put a full TCI front clip, and the rear 4-link on it, which lowered the car a good 3 inches already. Up here in far North Cali, we have lots and lots of twisty mountain roads to play on, and I wanna fly under the radar with this thing
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 09, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech

If you have a month or so to wait and around $500.00 to spend on porting, I'd highly recommend sending your intake of choice to Dr J's Performance in Orange, CA. He ported my Victor Jr and one of the things he said it would do besides increase the air flow speed is to improve the idle quality. My engine idles at 750-800 all day even with a large cam. I think you'd be pleased with the results. This way perhaps you could run a lower profile ported intake that would give you all the performance you want without any hood clearance issues.

http://www.j-performance.com

Last edited by sinc93; Oct 1st, 09 at 09:14 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 09, 10:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

How high of rpm are you hoping to twist it?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 09, 10:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiator View Post
Hahaha... we've put a full TCI front clip, and the rear 4-link on it, which lowered the car a good 3 inches already. Up here in far North Cali, we have lots and lots of twisty mountain roads to play on, and I wanna fly under the radar with this thing
you really need a lilttle rise in the intake for best performance under harsh throttle loads!!..the more time and air the fuel has to atomize the better she'll run and the more power the ole girl will have!! thats just my opinion!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 09, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech
Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDEWAYS View Post
What you want is a ZZ454/502 GMPP take-off, or new. Its an RPM intake that's been cnc-port matched to fit the Edelbrock heads beautifully. If you even see one, you know immediately what I'm talking about.
X2...Perfect plenum and runner volume for those cubic inches. A Weiand Team G Stealth will be too large unless you go with more cubes.

Mark Jones/VortecPro builds some nasty bbc's with gm heads. 620 HP out of a 475 bbc.

Walter
69 Chevelle SS
10.5-1 496/AFR 305's/Voodoo 60234 Solid Roller/TH400 4000 Stall/4.11 12 Bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
How high of rpm are you hoping to twist it?
It's a steel crank, connecting rods, pistons, so should rev nicely. I probably won't push it past 6500, though.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinc93 View Post
If you have a month or so to wait and around $500.00 to spend on porting, I'd highly recommend sending your intake of choice to Dr J's Performance in Orange, CA. He ported my Victor Jr and one of the things he said it would do besides increase the air flow speed is to improve the idle quality. My engine idles at 750-800 all day even with a large cam. I think you'd be pleased with the results. This way perhaps you could run a lower profile ported intake that would give you all the performance you want without any hood clearance issues.

http://www.j-performance.com
Good idea! thanks for the link!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

You're welcome. I'd also recommend asking them to elongate your intake manifold bolt holes if they aren't already. I had only 12 thou shaved off my heads to fix a small warp and then my intake manifold bolt holes were slightly off. Apparently some aftermarket intakes are drilled for completely stock heights etc.

I'm just in the process of reinstalling my intake and the only other thing I'm doing is following the FelPro instructions and gluing the intake gaskets down to the head without the rtv on the front and back.

Then I placed the intake down on the head and snugged it up for a day to check for any gasket shift. I noticed when I was cleaning up the intake the last time it was removed that maybe 1/8 inch of the port was blocked due to the gasket shifting. ( It was installed by a shop.) I'm going to carefully trim any gasket that is covering the intake port on the head after I remove the intake before I finally seal it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode