396 - need some help please?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Danny

396 - need some help please??

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice regarding my 396bb. It was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago so I am not really considering rebuilding it again. However, the car itself (68' rs/ss) is undergoing pretty much a ground up restoration. The engine has been sitting on a stand now for about 2 years and I will soon be able to reinstall it. I am looking for a good proceedure or thoughts on what I should do to the engine to get it ready for this. So far, I plan on: 1)replaceing the pan & value cover gaskets 2)steemcleaning 3)repainting it.

What other things would you recommend I do or any other thoughts you might have on this would be greatly appeciated.
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

Re: 396 - need some help please??

I got my 67 with a 396 in it that had been rebuilt but sat for about 15 years... I put a little oil in each cylinder then put the plug back in. Do it on the stand much easier. Prime the oil pump before you start. Make sure you have pressure. Make sure nothing fell in the intake or carb, it can happen... I promise...does not matter how many rags, bags, covers you put on the engine... I primed mine then rotated the motor without the plugs and primed again. Hooked up a external oil gage to check for good pressure. Maybe over kill but BBCs are expensive and getting harder to find... I hope this helps...Good luck..
Jess
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Danny

Great thank you - should I be concerned with the inner seals and their condition at all, like the head gasket, or maybe water pump gasket? They were all perfectly fine went I removed the engine and i've been manually rotating the crank every couple of weeks becuase someone told me to do that, I also initially added a tiny bit of oil to the cylinders when I put it on the stand. But an old friend of mine said something about the seals drying out if the engine sits to long so I just want to check on this by asking here.

Also, are there any internal adjustments or things to replace, I should do while I have the oil pan and value covers off?

thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Louie

If it were me, I would try and get it dyno'd to check for power/torque output. You would then know the condition of seals, rings,etc.

69 SS/RS Fathom Green 454 4 speed

Bumper sticker- My other auto is a .45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode