URGENT L35 396/325HP carb question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

URGENT L35 396/325HP carb question

Hey guys,

I've got a '67 RS/SS 396/325hp w/Turbo 400 trans. The car did not have A.I.R. to my knowledge. The build date on the cowl tag is 05E or the fifth week in May. I just stumbled upon this service bulletin in the CRG carburetor info.

http://www.camaros.org/carb.shtml

Quote:
As per the June 1967 Chevrolet Service News bulletin, the 7027211 carburetor was also installed on some 396/325 cars with automatic transmissions and serviced in the field by 7034589.
The service bulletin states:

Quote:
Use of the manual transmission carburetor is an engineering deviation issued in May to incorporate the secondary throttle lockout feature of the carburetor on units equipped with automatic transmissions.

If such a unit is encountered in the field requiring replacement, use carburetor Part No. 7034589 [2nd Design service replacement listed for use on the 396 cu.in. engine - manual transmission.
My question is this:

If engineering issued this production change in May, and my car was built in the last week of May, when would the change have taken effect on the assembly line? In other words, which carb(s) would be correct on my car?

For one thing, I do not see the #7034589 carburetor listed in the CRG apllication chart. There is a #7034588.

Just to keep it simple, which carb ID tag would be correct for my car?

The 7027200 ID automatic carb or the 7027211 ID manual carb?

Thanks,
Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 07:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Re: URGENT L35 396/325HP carb question

Brian,
Was your 4BBL built by Rochester or Carter ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

When I purchased the car from the second owner it had a Holley spreadbore on it. This carb with a Mallory distributor, Hooker headers, and Lakewood traction bars were te extent of the mods made to the car.

I was able to eventually get the exhaust manifolds from the guy, but he said he couldn't find the carb or distributor. His brother doid all the work on the car so it may be he tossed them.

I am now trying to gather the necessary missing parts to restore the car.

Thanks,
Buzz

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 10:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Hey guys,

I've got a '67 RS/SS 396/325hp w/Turbo 400 trans. The car did not have A.I.R. to my knowledge. The build date on the cowl tag is 05E or the fifth week in May. I just stumbled upon this service bulletin in the CRG carburetor info.

http://www.camaros.org/carb.shtml

The service bulletin states:

My question is this:

If engineering issued this production change in May, and my car was built in the last week of May, when would the change have taken effect on the assembly line? In other words, which carb(s) would be correct on my car?

For one thing, I do not see the #7034589 carburetor listed in the CRG apllication chart. There is a #7034588.

Just to keep it simple, which carb ID tag would be correct for my car?

The 7027200 ID automatic carb or the 7027211 ID manual carb?

Thanks,
Buzz
The key word being used by ORG. is SOME.
Looks like you can use the one you can find.
The Q-Jets where produced by Rochester and Carter.
1965-1969 Chevrolet by the numbers has good info on the subject.
I would use the manual carb and take advantage of the lock out.
Forget about the service carb.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 09, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I apologize for the 'urgent' in the heading, but I ran across a carb which I ended up buying. This very nice carb is has a 7027200 ID, which is for a 67 Camaro 396 cid with automatic trans and w/o A.I.R. I feel I will be happy with this carb and hopefully the date code will coincide with the car's build date.

I'm still in need of the TH400 kickdown switch and bracket which works off the carb's throttle arm. I need the whole works including the tab which attaches to the throttle arm. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks,
Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode