water leak in head exhaust port? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

water leak in head exhaust port?

Guys I have a situation on my 69 Z I recently had the motor completely rebuilt along with the heads. They were all magged for cracks etc. before and after the all work was complete. The issue I have is I was putting the wires on the starter and a drip hit my hand. I pulled the exhaust manifold and the port was full of anti freeze. The valve was closed so I do not think it went any further. I drained the coolant out cleaned the port out and put a pressure test on it. I ran it at 10 #'s for 2 hours and 15#'s at 1 hours without fluid in it and it held steady. I had the heads flow matched so a very slight port was done to even the flow only. I also had the hardened seats put in. I have held off doing anything other than the pressure check and do not want to just start taking it back apart till I have a direction. Any help will be appreciated! thanka Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 02:09 PM

Re: water leak in head exhaust port?

If they are the 186 heads and you had harden seats put in they MAYand i mean MAY have put the wrong dia seat in and your leak is coming from under the seat. Put 25# of pressure on the cooling system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

The 69 Z1 MK IV is an Aluminum Block/Head 427 right. First I would do a leak down on that cylinder looking for bubbles in the Anti-Freeze or the sound of air in water cavity to confirm suspension then pull the cylinder head; hoping to find nothing more then a leaking head gasket or leaking head bolt. It is possible there may be a water intrusion as the result of the harden seat insert on that Exhaust Valve. Has the Block been sleeved?

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

No sleeve on the block.
I have talked to a couple of guys I think kind of know what they are talking about they say maybe when hardened seats put it might have put a small crack ina water jacket?
I had a very reputable builder put do all machine work on block and heads he also assembled the motor. He is very meticulous and I would get a hold of him but he has some serious health issues as of late much more impartant than this. thanks Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 02:30 PM

Some of the 186 291 461 462 heads are thin in that area. I try not to put a seat in any thicker then .187. If you use the .250 you may run into this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Mike if it was leaking from the seat would it not be leaking down into the cylinder or not?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 09, 02:52 PM

It could go either way but since you said the port was full i would say the valve was closed so i would say it would becoming from were the seat sits against the head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode