Big Block Exhaust Manifolds - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Phil

Big Block Exhaust Manifolds

I have been trying to find a 3909879 LH exhaust manifold for a long time now and have all but given up. When I try to win one on Ebay, seems like some people think they're made out of gold instead of iron! I have the 3916178 RH. I'm about ready to buy a set of the reproductions from Ricks. What do you guys think about these repops? Do they fit right, how close is the appearance to the originals? Do they have a cracking problem? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Big Block Exhaust Manifolds

The repros fit fine, and look like all the originals I have seen, but I have never laid the two side by side. Mine have been on for more than 600 miles. I bought them because I was having the same trouble finding originals, and did not want the hassle of shelling out a bunch of cash to find out that I bought one that was warped or had another issue.

My guess is the only way to know the repros from the originals is the casting date (all repros have the same date, I can't remember off the top of my head what it is though), and maybe if you put repros that are not drilled for smog on a car that would have had smog equipment.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Big Block Exhaust Manifolds

My advise is to shop around Rick's prices seem to have gone up tremendously since Eckler's bought them.

Rick's is $339 (which is not too bad.)

NPD is $379 !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Oct 7th, 09 at 02:45 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish45 View Post
I have been trying to find a 3909879 LH exhaust manifold for a long time now and have all but given up.
How critical is the OE look?

I've got a LH PN 3989343 I can part with.
PM me if you want a quick photo.

Heres an old thread:
In 1967 it changed to casting number 3909879 and was used in 1967 - 69 Camaros, Novas, Chevelles with 396 and 427 engines including the COPO and ZL1.
3909879 casting number was carried over to 1970 and used in Camaros, Chevelles, Monte Carlos and Novas with 402 and 454 engines. It looks very similar to the 1971 and 72 402 and 454 exh manifold, casting number 3989343 and 1973-75 Passenger and Chevelle 454 manifold, casting number 329225.

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Garage

Are the 1969 big block manifolds very different from the 1970-1972?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 09, 08:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I am comparing my LH manifold to the Ground Up catalog shot and I am not seeing anything different. my casting numbers are on the block side of the manifold, not as shown above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode