Engine Help Please! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 09, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Gary

Engine Help Please!

Ok, I just installed a 350/400HP crate engine and cannot get it to run right. It idles ok, but when you put it in gear it it pings and diesels when you shut it off. Also, when you stomp on it ther's a dead spot, it runs ruff and even backfires sometimes. The smell coming out of the exhaust is eye burning strong. The timing is all seems to be set correctly. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 09, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: Engine Help Please!

The pinging is likely a timing issue. The dieseling is likey a carb issue (throttle blades too open at idle) which could be symptom of bad timing.

Tell us how you set the timing?

Also, is it possible the harmonic mark and the pointer on the timing cover are a mismantch?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 09, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Gary

The timing is set at 32 degrees at 3000 rpm, which is what they said it supposed to be set at. I suppose it's always possible that the mark is wrong, but supposedly it was set and dialed in before I got it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 09, 09:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

It sounds like the distributor is off a tooth. Was it already installed when you got it.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 09, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Gary

Yea, it was installed when I got it. Not sure if the guy who installed the motor pulled it out or not. I'm a little upset with him right now and not sure if he would even be honest with me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 09, 09:18 PM
Senior Tech

i had to change the springs on my distributor to get it to advance the vacumn and idel right, its a timing issue..

it about helping others
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 09, 09:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

First thing is to double check the timing your self. Then like knightmoose said the springs in the advance may be coming in to early and at idle its bouncing in and out. You should see this with a timing light..... Then adjust your idle down and check your float levels and adjust your fuel mixture screws then set your idle for best idle.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Where is the crate engine from ?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 11:21 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

If it's a 350 with 400hp it likely has a pretty decent cam, which means you need to do some serious timing work, initial, curve, total, and vacuum advance.

Take the cap off, turn the motor to COMPRESSION stroke on the #1 cylinder, and post back where the distributor is pointing. It is VERY easy, even for us big time gear heads to be one tooth off, I bet it is one tooth retarded from what you posted.

If it's not, disconnect the vacuum advance, set initial timing to 16*-20*, re set idle speed, and go from there, don't worry about the vacuum advance if it's equipped until you figure this out, that's a whole different story.

Your total timing can still be correct, even though you are a tooth off.

One way to tell if you are a tooth retarded is advance the distributor A LOT and see if it idles any better, if it does, you are at least a tooth off.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Is the firing order correct?

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

I would shoot for 36-38 degrees advance on your timing... Its also very possible that during shipping that the timing could have been disturbed if the engine got knocked hard or dropped....How much play does the rotor have in it?

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES

Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Where does this "one tooth off" nonsense come from? You can time a car perfectly regardless of where the distributor is dropped. Which gear is engaged when the dist is dropped, isn't relevant. Timing is the relationship of the cap to the rotor.

Last edited by Straight-line-69; Oct 16th, 09 at 02:45 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Where does this "one tooth off" nonsense come from? You can time a car perfectly regardless of where the distributor is dropped. Which gear is engaged when the dist is dropped, isn't relevant. Timing is the relationship of the cap to the rotor.
Basically you are saying if I go out to my car and pick up the distributor, and move it one tooth over, it will run perfectly fine?

It doesn't matter where the rotor is pointing (many of us like it pointing to the #1 though), as long as the #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
most people like to keep it correct and put the number one plug wire where it belongs on the cap

i have just dropped the distrib in before and fired the engine up, ut i always went back and corrected it
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post

Your total timing can still be correct, even though you are a tooth off.

What? That only has to do with the position the dist is in. Timing is timing.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode