400 SBC Oil Pump Shaft - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

400 SBC Oil Pump Shaft

Was getting ready to prime a fresh 406 for initial startup and notice my priming tool, which is an old stock dist. would not engage the oil pump shaft. Measeured to the top of the intake flange from the top of the oil pump shaft and it was 7 5/8, dist is 7 3/4 in length.. based on rought cam gear measurement itwould mesh properly if i could lower the dist, however it bottoms out. i can go with an adjustable collar msd. im just concerned why it was doing this? dont want to overlook something and go with the adj collar dist if there is something else wrong. I did mic another intake and it was the same so i have no idea why it would be off. also tried another dist and it did the same thing. i also measured the bottom of the cam gear to the top of the oil pump shaft, it was aboutg 7/8 of an inch and appears to be in range. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

67 RS
68 Under Full Resto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Re: 400 SBC Oil Pump Shaft

The distributor gear fits over the top of the oil pump shaft so it will be slightly longer then the distance from the top of the shaft to the manifold.400's use the same oil pump shaft as all other smallblocks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 06:19 AM
Senior Tech

A 400 uses a cut down oil pump shaft due to the larger main bearings.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

when you say "cut down" are you refering to diameter or length? the shaft spins free and is engaged with the oil pump, i just cant reach it with the dist.

67 RS
68 Under Full Resto
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech

Any chance you've got a shaft for a big block pump conversion? They are 5.625 long instead of 5.75 long. http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=14002
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

i thought that might be the case, since that is the only 2 shafts that are normally used/offered. I didnt build the bottom end, the shaft spins smooth in the block and is engaged to the pump. If it is the big block pump/shaft, i would think the adjustable collar dist would be the properly application. can you think of any problems that would arise?

67 RS
68 Under Full Resto
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 09:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

problem, the dist gear will be to far down and not mesh with the cam gear.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
sIcKyIcKyMiCkY

Check that shaft with another one, back in the day A friend picked up a fresh big block with a small block shaft,dist wouldnt reach, the engine was allready in the car... so ,, we put a MOPAR type - "tang" on the shaft, and it reached fine,, no runout no problem engines fine after almost 10 years,,,

1968 Camaro PRO STREET 406 Brodix .645 Roller Glide brak Dana 60 5.38 Ladr bar 32.16.5
1989 Vette Z-51 357 Dart ,Billet Specialties
1986 IROCZ- 468 400
2003 Roadstar
2003 GMC 4X4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech

The length is the same, but it needs a narrower diameter shaft than 350 main blocks, and then you still need to check for clearance through the main cap and back of the block wall. It should have a little free wiggle to it to ensure it is not hitting/ rubbing.

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

is the shaft diameter smaller at the top of the shaft or just where it goes through the main? it does have some wiggle and free play in it, i tried a slip collar dist today, when it went in, it meshed with the cam gear and then stopped, i did not touch the intake and measured 7 3/4 to the mark. i tried to hand turn the engine while putting light pressure on the dist, no luck, so could the shaft be too close to the cam gear?

67 RS
68 Under Full Resto
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 09, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech

It needs to be thinnest as it goes through the cap. what happened to me is I installed it in the cap and it felt nice and free, but when I turned the block rightside up and it sat down on the end of the oil pump shaft, it cocked in the cap and also hit the back of the block wall. I cut the diameter of the drive shaft down a little more and then all was well. This was in a Dart block with 400 mains, though.

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode