Distributer recurve points type - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Question Distributer recurve points type

on a points type distributer how are you limiting the mech advance?
I see there is a slot under the counter weights with a rubber sleeve or something that on my parts distributer is falling out? I need to run 16 degress inital with 20 in mech advance,does anyone sell a kit with sleeves that yield a certain advance? or is there another way?
thx scott

I see that summit sells recurve kits with only one BRASS bushing for limiting the mech advance? so just a rebuild, no bushing choices for different advances?

Last edited by KAWSAM62; Oct 13th, 09 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Distributer recurve points type

Quote:
on a points type distributer how are you limiting the mech advance?
Mentioned numerous times in many old threads
The GM points and HEI work the same...it is the tail of the counter weight shape...
a 0.25 to 1mm rounded off the tail will increase the amount of degs in the curve.
Careful it is very easy to take too much off...
On the bar the rotor screws to, there is another hole, tap a thread, and using a grun screw, shape the head into a cam....this will limit the amount of degress and make adjustable...once the position is established, lock the postion with a spot of epo or locktite.
Caution, if u put to much in the weights can fall over the edge of the round fiber inserts they sit on....you can replace these by making a couple larger new ones and epoxy in place...

Both my points and HEI run 8Deg intial and total 32 ...24 in the dizzy.
This makes the load on the starter motor light, easy start....then with VA on manifold vac that comes full in at idle vac gives me 14 deg at idle once the engine has fired up.
(6 deg in the VA) gives me total of 38 degs at 3000 rpm....or 30 at cruise 60 mph. (approx 2400 rpms)
The VA drops right out about 1/3 to1/2 throttle about 10" vac...it is all in at approx 13.5"

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode