Holley air bleeds 4160 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
TTO

Holley air bleeds 4160

Why would you plug the air bleeds on a holley 4160 600cfm carb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Holley air bleeds 4160

Some guys that are tunning there carbs will use this as a feel for a better AFR. Bigger air bleeds will help out to a point lean out your AFR and vrs..

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
TTO

Someone plugged the two air bleeds in front of the airhorn where the air cleaner sits. I thought these should be open? My carbs a 396 Holley 585cfm.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I'm guessing this is Todd (?)...

Those aren't the bleeds. There are two adjustable air bleed screws located there. The actual bleed passage can be seen inside the choke tower--they're the outer set of holes. The air bleed screws intersect the bleed passage and were used at the factory to fine-tune the idle air/fuel mixture for the lowest emissions. The carbs which had these screws from the factory did not use a conventional pressed in "restrictor" bleed on the idle air circuit on the primary side (inside the choke tower) as most other Holleys do. They are well-known to be a potential source of problems, and many rebuilders/restorers disable them and convert the idle circuits to a fixed calibration by installing air bleed restrictors as found on conventional Holleys.

Hopefully that clears that up.

Carburetor Rebuild & Restoration
Engine & Driveline Parts & Services

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
TTO

Thanks Eric. I'm just trying to figure out how this carb works, there is so much conflicting info on the web. Todd

Last edited by 396L34; Oct 13th, 09 at 08:11 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Whatever makes you happy. You'll be getting your refund sometime next week as I said.

I'm still confident the issue could be resolved simply by jetting up the secondary side.

Last edited by Vintage Musclecar; Oct 13th, 09 at 08:49 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 08:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Eric, the 4053 DZ carbs do not have them, right? Sure seems like they are a good thing to have. Do they offset the idle feed restrictors?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 09, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Gary;

Actually, the DZ carbs do have the adjustable air bleed screws. Many GM Holleys from `66 to `70 have them. I convert every one that comes in to fixed calibration and I've not had a problem with it yet, as opposed to when I left them alone--I had a number of come-backs with complaints of getting the idle mixture to take a set. Those screws are very susceptible to vibrating out of adjustment, and naturally many novice tuners spot a previously undiscovered screw and just have to give them a turn...

Disabling them and converting to fixed idle calibration (as with "conventional" carbs) simply eliminates the variable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode