Sewing machine sounding 327 engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 09, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Sewing machine sounding 327 engine

Hey guys. Very newbe question but I am just not sure what an original 327 is supposed to sound like. Its recammed and has solid lifters, solid lifter cam.

I have not done the lash since I have had it. Measures .0025 (?) with my feeler gauge.

Is this thing supposed to sound like a sewing machine when you are not "on it"? Is this normal?

1968 Convertible L92 VVT project, Hotchkiss lowering front & rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 09, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
sIcKyIcKyMiCkY

Re: Sewing machine sounding 327 engine

yep sewing machine is about right,,, some people get used to it.. others put on Cast alluminum "thick" valve covers,, if you beat on it regularly you should probably check your lash once a month

1968 Camaro PRO STREET 406 Brodix .645 Roller Glide brak Dana 60 5.38 Ladr bar 32.16.5
1989 Vette Z-51 357 Dart ,Billet Specialties
1986 IROCZ- 468 400
2003 Roadstar
2003 GMC 4X4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Two and a half thousandths, 0.0025", is a small lash setting for a mechanical camshaft, usually around 0.020", dependent upon cam manufacturer.

If you have the cam card, so much the better, read it from the card. If not, but know the manf, check their website with the cam part number.

And yes, lash set correctly, sounds like noisy sewing machine. Turn up the radio.....or not. i myself, would rather roll the window down and listen.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Think 40 series 2 chambers!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68problemchild View Post
Measures .0025 (?) with my feeler gauge.
I'm sure you put an extra zero in there by mistake, but what I am wondering is was this a measurement when cold?
If so, you might have near 0.030" when at temp. It would be noisy for sure.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Two and a half thousandths, 0.0025", is a small lash setting for a mechanical camshaft, usually around 0.020", dependent upon cam manufacturer.

If you have the cam card, so much the better, read it from the card. If not, but know the manf, check their website with the cam part number.

And yes, lash set correctly, sounds like noisy sewing machine. Turn up the radio.....or not. i myself, would rather roll the window down and listen.
Patrick

Everett is giving you some good advise. The recommended lash setting can vary quite a bit depending on what cam/manufacturer you have. Find out what you've got and set it accordingly.

But yeah, even when set correctly it'll sound like a big sewing machine.

Mark

68 327 4-speed 3.42 posi and a sunroof

best so far... 13.25 at 106mph

78 Firebird 350/T350 3.23 posi
65 Mustang convert. 6 cyl. 3-speed
66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl. auto
80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Yep. Extra 0. .025 at temperature. Normal for a solid lifter?

I tried the cam issue here before but I have no idea what cam is in it. One day I will be brave enough to pull the fenders off and tear it down that far. But for today, just doing what I can.

I am pretty sure with the liquid on the plugs and threads I have some valve seal issues too.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you are planning on pulling the camshaft, you don't need to pull the front sheet metal.
Pull out the radiator and roll the A/C condensor out of the way, you'll have a 1/2"-1" inch of clearance behind the grille.

You can set up a 0"-1" inch dial indicator on the pushrod and a degree wheel on the h/bal and take both intake/exhaust opening/closing degrees at 0.050" of lift from the base circle along with LSA, lobe speparation angle at max lift, plus max lift, read cam lift and multiply by 1.5 to get gross lift, and see if intake is advanced, sometimes is, common aftermarket feature, and match up the readings with most any aftermarket cam manufacturer to see what you have inside.

Alot of info, I know. But, if you can find anything from the previous owner would be a great help for you to solve your mystery.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post

I'm with Everett on this. My Dad had a 327 vette with the sound of the 30-30 solid cam, tach drive, muncie and exhaust, that thing was a symphony!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 09, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Would love to chat with prior Owner but he died two years ago and the car had been sitting in his daughters garage. She was trying to locate an old friend of his to no avail. I was hoping he was formerally of this forum and someone recognized his car. He must have been a racer.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I wouldn't be too concerned.. Set at a hot 0.020" and you'll be fine. A couple of thou either way ain't gonna bother it.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode