Automatic choke to hot? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Automatic choke to hot?

My engine definitely does not idle well cold. I tried increasing the black dial on my 1406 Edy which was initially set all the way lean. After moving it halfway, it got so hot I burned my fingers touching it.

Does this mean its shot?

Does edy sell just these parts if it is?

1968 Convertible L92 VVT project, Hotchkiss lowering front & rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 09, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Automatic choke to hot?

Not particularly. Choke heaters do get hot. However, if the plastic melts, then it does get too hot.

Adjusting the choke can only happen when the engine/choke is cold, as in the first start for the day. Finding the sweet spot can be a couple day trial & error setting.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

The black housing only regulates how long the choke remains in a closed/partially closed position. It has nothing to do with the idle directly. There is a fast idle screw just under the choke thermostat that regulates the idle speed when the choke is operating. I would set the thermostat housing to the center or 1 mark to the rich side of center and leave it. After that, with the engine COLD, set the choke and start the engine. Immediately after start up, go to the passenger side and turn the fast idle screw to achieve a fast idle of around 1500rpm. This must be done cold because the oil is thicker and if done hot, a fast idle speed hot will be slower once the engine cools and the oil thickens.

As far as the thermostat housing getting hot, it will get hot, but it should not burn your fingures. Don't get me wrong, it will get hot, but you should be able to place your fingures on it without the skin being physically burned. If this happens, you should double check the positive wire is supplying 12v and nothing more. Also, check the ground is tight and in good condition. Once you set the choke, you should be able to leave it all year. I like to have 2 settings. 1 for winter and 1 for summer. I don't like to have my choke staying closed for a long time when it's 90+* outside. The 1 mark to the rich side of center should be good for winter and 2 or even 3 marks to the lean side of center should work for summer. It all depends on how long you want the choke to operate for in hot weather.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

i was looking at page 8.

Checked wires. The Black wire is grounded to the front of the carb itself. The power connects to blue wire leading to the Voltage regulator.

Under the thermostat itself, there is a hole. No screw. I do see a fast idle linkage on the drivers side?

Added pics in my link. Many thanks!!!!

Last edited by 68problemchild; Oct 17th, 09 at 10:13 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, the screw is the fast idle screw.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

I get it.

Also, should the hole in the passenger side below the thermostat have a screw in it/is it sucking air?

Last edited by 68problemchild; Oct 17th, 09 at 11:20 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

The screw on the drivers sdie only touches when the choke is closed. You can set the speed by rotating the cam while the engine is hot and then turning screw to desired RPM.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode