Testing Lifters (Hydraulic Roller) Good or Bad? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Testing Lifters (Hydraulic Roller) Good or Bad?

Any way to bench test a lifter before using it. The motor they are out of had only 2k mile before spinning bearing. Think it was an oil delivery issue. Would like to reuse the lifters but only if they are good for sure!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 04:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Testing Lifters (Hydraulic Roller) Good or Bad?

I will probably catch some flack on this, but I would set these lifters in oil, then , one at a time, bench test each one to see if you can extract all air if any , from the lifter. This is not to say which ones will pump up solid, only to ensure that they are full of oil. If you suspect they are dirty, take each one apart and clean, this needs to be done in a ultra clean enviroment.
I would also take some time to look at the rollers them selves. This always works for me and has in the last 50 years.

You did not say what brand they were.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

They are Comp Cams brand. Also, could you elaborate on the test procedure a bit more in detail? Should I be able to push where the rod does and collapse a spring or something? I have not ever tested them before and only a curory understanding of how they work / deliver oil.

Thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 07:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryside_Cafe View Post
They are Comp Cams brand. Also, could you elaborate on the test procedure a bit more in detail? Should I be able to push where the rod does and collapse a spring or something? I have not ever tested them before and only a curory understanding of how they work / deliver oil.

Thanks!

Sorry I did not explain, but I use a push rod chucked up into a drill press, then work the drill press on the lifter cup with the lifter right side up, if there is any air in the lifter you should see it expell then eventually quit. This is the way GM recommended us to do for lifter replacements. There was a Kent-Moore tool just for this purpose. I think over the years people quit doing this.
The lifter body has a cut away mid way on the outside lifter barrel, hi pressure oil is fed here from the lifter galley then the plunger and piddle valve or check valve , feeds the oil thru the push rods on the the rocker arms. Hope this helps.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes is does very much thanks!

Can lifters get air trapped and not deliver oil? I soaked them before I put them in originally until no bubbles visible. bearing

Thanks for the patience. Putting this motor back together very carefully after the spinning a main bearing on the first motor.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryside_Cafe View Post
Yes is does very much thanks!

Can lifters get air trapped and not deliver oil? I soaked them before I put them in originally until no bubbles visible. bearing

Thanks for the patience. Putting this motor back together very carefully after the spinning a main bearing on the first motor.
Trapped air? I would say yes , thats why I do this method and when lifters are out of the motor , I try to keep upright and submerged in oil, that way I won't have to do this again.
Just a precaution. Be sure to prelube motor prior to start up.

Don
TC # 349

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode