Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
can't get th ecar to run.

OK...started the car earlier today, ran it up to temp, shut it down, and washed the car.

Started it up (to take it to the gas station), stalled at th ebottom of my driveway. Will not start again. Willl get it to strat her eand there with the choke (manual) all the way closed, but just stalls out on its own, or when I try to open the choke, even slightly. Can't get it to run!

Carb is a holley 650DP, recently rebuilt, gas gauge showed 1/8, so I ent and got a couple of gallons, figuring maybe the gauuge was incorrcet--now shows slightly over 1/4 tank (put in about 2.75 gallons), still the same exact problem. Car is parked in front of my house, and now that it it getting dark, I have no idea (short of calling a tow truck) how to get the car back up my driveway and in the garage for the night!

Any tips on the start/stall issue--could it just be too cold outside to run it, even withthe choke fully closed?

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: can't get th ecar to run.

Flooded, with a DP 2 pumps to the floor will flood them, pull the plugs clean/dry them,
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

plugs are not wet...

I wonder if my module has gone bad in the dizzy, although, I put a timing light on while crankkng, and confimrd that the number one (at least) is firing...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi

Last edited by keithl1967; Oct 18th, 09 at 05:50 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Once an engine is up to operating temp, really no reason to close the choke.
Leave the choke open, mash the pedal to the floor, and start it. As said, flooded.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

So, what happened? Get it started?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Nope...I've dealt with flooding before...this isn't it...even let it sit for over an hour, went back, and nothing, just cranking, cranking, cranking...

Engine really was cooled back down by the time I tried to start it, so closing the choke (given the 50-52 degree weather) was appropriate...in fact, on a couple of occasions, it did run like that for a few seconds, but would either backfire lightly and shut down, or just kind of stall on it's own, especially if I tried to even slightly open the choke...

Now, I get nothing but cranking, choke open or closed, over an hour later...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 09:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Was the distributor tight? Could it have spun back retarded?

If it has gas, air and spark, it should run...

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I wouldn't even worry about using a choke in 50* weather.
Bad coil maybe, if it's a coil in cap, could be intermittent.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Did you wash the engine? Water in dist. cap? Sounds like igniton problem rather than fuel. It should run without a choke or with the choke wide open in 50 degree weather.

Last edited by Chuck; Oct 18th, 09 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added more info.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 09, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

did not wash the engine...in fact, after washing the car, it fired right up and ran long enough to get it out of my driveway, get about 30 feet down the road, then died, not to be re-started again...That's what led me to think maybe my fuel gauge was wron...so went and filel dup a fule contained and put it in (just shy of three gallons--fuel receipt says 2.79 gallons to be exact)...still nothing...

Like I said--fired a couple of times, ran for a couple of seconds, then died again...

It's an accel supercoil...could the "di-electric grease" affect the transmission of the power to the rotor (just replaced rotor and cap--re-used the coil...

Although it ran GREAT last week after replacing all of that stuff...just bouncing ideas...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Get a helper to check for primary and secondary spark. Stick a screwdriver in the end of the coil wire hold near ground while someone cranks it. You should have a big blue spark jumping to ground. If spark is good, try squirting some carb cleaner in the carb and see if it runs. That will tell if you are dealing with an igniton or fuel issue.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Daral

What about fuel? If your plugs are not wet after all that cranking maybe you are not getting fuel to the carb. You need air, spark and fuel. If you have all three, it should start.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Is there fuel getting to the intake? You mentioned rebuilding the carb. Perhaps the float is stuck or not adjusted properly.

Chuck B
RI

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 09, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

There is fuel getting to the intake...squirters are strong.
I suppose it could be a float issue, as I did not make that adjustment witthe car running, made it on the rebuild, but the car wa srunning fine last week...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode