Engine Choices - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

Engine Choices

So my 67 RS/SS is going to be needing an engine. I could use some advice on how to stuff the biggest cubed motor I can afford into this thing, and still keep my SS hood.

I really don't like the cowl hoods, but I'm concerned about clearance issues on the SS one. The problem is, I also want a BIG motor as in 500+ cubes.

So can a big block that large be stuffed in there, w/out putting on a low rise intake/carb combination that will negatively impact the performance of the motor too much? Would a fuel injected BBC fit better? Should I be considering an aftermarket subframe that will allow the motor to sit lower? I'd really rather keep the stock subframe, even if I have to modify it for expense reasons.

I'd appreciate some opinions/options. My only two requirements really are, keep the SS hood, and lots of cubes Oh, and also that I don't have to build it from ground up. I've had to replace many engines in vehicles, but always start with a short block, and don't really think I have the skill to start with a bare block, so I'm considering a crate.

Thanks!

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 09, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: Engine Choices

Yes you could put a 502 or it stroked brother the 540 under your hood with a drop base air filter. Pretty sure but not positive you could use a edelbrock rpm or rpm air gap manifold. There is also the stroked 454 a 496 or if sonic tested block bore it out to a 505. If no one with a ss hood chimes in on what will fit you might try a search. There must be a post on this somewhere. mark
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

I guess first a price range is needed. Any combo based off a 454, 502 or Dart 540 block will fit. What are your goals for the engine? What kind of power?

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES

Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

I guess I really don't want to spend any more than I have to. I was looking at a crate 502 but I think I've seen bigger engines out there for cheaper than the 12k they cost last time I looked a long time ago. Unless the 12k I'm remembering was for the 572ci..... I'm told the 572 is a tall deck block, and no way it would fit under the SS hood so I guess that's out

I'm obviously not very engine smart. I just want something that makes tons of power, big cubes, streetable, dependable, and most importantly, fits under the SS hood w/out sacrificing power. Other than that, I don't care if it's carbed, fuel injected, or whatever. I'm sure anything over 500 ci would easily make at least 500+ HP and that's good enough. Of course 10,000 HP would be great, but I'm not building an airplane

I've had several 67 Camaros, but never had a BBC in one. Something you just gotta experience once right? Once I can decide on the power plant, I can finish building the rest of the car around that. I'd hate to have to redo the rear, suspension, etc twice if the car ends up with more power than it can handle later.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

I'm pretty sure you can go up around 582" with a standard deck height aftermarket block, but I imagine it would be like the 434" small block, like stuffing 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag....
A very common size is a 540"-555" motor with a GM 502 block, there are tons of kits out there for that range.
But really you could go with a 502" which is pretty basic anymore really, and easily make 600 horse and as much torque with pretty basic stuff. That would be the best bang for the buck I think. And it would be a blast to drive .

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

I was told once, possibly incorrectly, that with an engine that size I would have to put a short intake on it to fit and that I wouldn't be getting all the performance possible out of the engine. Is that true?

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33 View Post
I was told once, possibly incorrectly, that with an engine that size I would have to put a short intake on it to fit and that I wouldn't be getting all the performance possible out of the engine. Is that true?
Well it's one of those deals, you can make power at the level you shoot for with any cubic inch. Put a short intake like an RPM or the like on and cam and gear it accordingly and it will still make a ton of power and ridicules torque. Bottom line more cubes will make more power, all else considered. You may not see the peak power etc. with it if you let it breathe but it would be fun....

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

Ok, so how can I go out engine shopping, and be positive what I'm looking at will fit under the hood? What am I looking for? Am I looking for a certain deck height, intake height? Are carbs different heights or pretty much all the same height? etc? I figure most people go out and pick out the engine they want, then worry about how they are going to stuff it in the car, but to me, the SS hood is just one of the things that make the car an SS, and I don't want to be rid of it for a cowl.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"

Last edited by clwilcox33; Oct 23rd, 09 at 04:06 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

Any motor based on a 9.80 deck will fit just like a 396 did I believe. Then after that the big block first gen guys can help with intake selection, but I imagine most high performance dual planes will fit under the hood.
I think the SS hood has a bit more room than a flat hood right? I love the SS hood, I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. Carbs are roughly the same.
Unfortunately my big block experience has been in race cars so I can't help too much on the fitment stuff, but all motors work on about the same principle when it comes down to it.
And besides when your ready for that 800 horse nitrous tune up I can hook you up......

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
And besides when your ready for that 800 horse nitrous tune up I can hook you up......
LOL, let me get the car running and driving first, then we'll worry about the nitrous tuneup

Speaking of running and driving, I have considered putting a temporary 350 (I have an extra one sitting around) in it just to get it going and then working on saving up for the big motor. But ultimately it will have the BBC, and I need to plan the rest of the drivetrain accordingly to handle that power during the build.

Yes the SS hood has a little more room than a flat hood, but less than a cowl hood. More room can be made by modifying the inner hood structure I've read, but I don't want to do that if it's not necessary.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 01:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33 View Post
But ultimately it will have the BBC, and I need to plan the rest of the drivetrain accordingly to handle that power during the build.
I’m sort in the same market you are. I've been prepping my car for my next motor for a while now. Currently I have pretty much stock 454 in it and enjoy driving the car while I plan/start my new motor build. I will be building a super charged 540 (Dart block) and my goal is around ~700HP. In order for the car to handle this motor various stock/weak links had to be addressed. My mods so far include:

Cooling system rated up to 750HP
Stage 3 700R4 tranny rated up to 700HP
12 bolt rear end rated up to 800HP
Subframe connectors

Things that are still on my list include:
Fuel delivery system
Driveshaft

Regarding hookup. My goal is not to end up with a drag car by any means so hookup is not that important to me. Having said that I have redone the rear suspension (and front) and the current hookup is awesome compared to the previous one but not ideal for the future 700HP. I just want to be behind a wheel of a 68 camaro that can smoke its tires at 60mph. Something about driving one of those with a huge huffer sticking out of the hood…

Matt

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech

582 in a 9.800 block made north of 780 hp with 112 lca cam an idles great for a street car. I've done two of these there great
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 09, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

Those engines sounds neat, but the real question is.....

Will it fit under the SS hood?

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 04:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Good plan! I want to go with one of Mark's 475's (vortecpro on this site ). He has a great reputation and his 475's are a tick under $5K. Plenty of hp for the street

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!

Last edited by RickD; Oct 24th, 09 at 02:48 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 09, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

500 hp could even be a sbc.

500+ CI with decent cams and heads should be in the mid to high 700's. The larger the displacement the better it will idle with a wild cam.

The longer the stroke the sooner peak power is made. If you are putting a short intake on it you will want a decent cam to make power up high. Since the shorter runners increases torque at higher rpms.

Bore = power. Stroke = torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode