Oil filter question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Oil filter question

I have a K&N, HP-2002 Oil filter on my small block chev.
The problem is the filter comes into contact with one of the primaries on the headers.
Obviously this could be a concern if the pipe wears through the filter.

The HP-2002 is 119mm (4.7") tall and the OD is 93mm(3.68")
I think I need either a shorter or smaller diameter oil filter to clear the primary pipe.

Maybe K&N filter HP-1011 will fix the problem [Height 87mm (3.41") and OD 93mm (3.68")]

Anyone else have a similar issue?

I don't want to bash the primary for clearance and I don't want to go for a remote filter.

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Re: Oil filter question

AC delco makes a short filter that may help. Otherwise I'd go to a remote oil filter. You don't want exhaust touching your filter, that will heat up your oil to some degree.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
AC delco makes a short filter that may help. Otherwise I'd go to a remote oil filter. You don't want exhaust touching your filter, that will heat up your oil to some degree.
Thanks, I'll have to check out the shorter filter.

Rgds,
Nev

383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 11:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I use a wix 51069, its about 4.25 ".

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Wix has a shorty. iirc maybe 3 to 3 1/2" tall.

Tim Smith
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

I would modify the header tube.Using a smaller filter will only bypass more oil,which is never good.Any small performance loss you see from a flattened header tube iis a small price to pay for engine longevity.I had to do the same thing on one of my Camaros with cheapie headers,the way to go would be to put a short piece of wood on the opposite side of the header tube to spread the load,then use lare vise grips or a C clamp to flatten only the offending side of the tube,that would make the modification look more acceptable.I cant believe that anybody would make decent headers that dont clear a large oil filter.I would have sent them back,there isnt a reason in the world that you cant make headers to fit ANY production chassis and still fit a long filter.Cheapie headers use the excuse that they need to make headers that fit 5 different cars to save cost,but if somebody is making $400+ coated headers,the least they could do is make them fit the specific application.Good luck.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
ED

what if you indexed the oil filter, take it off and put a small dent in it? Or do they make a taller truck filter that you can dent farther up from bottum of filter?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

57099 is the shorty wix and PF454CL is the ac. I was lookin up some stuff for my Silverado and remembered to look up your deal too.

The man said he ain't dingin his headers, Rich.

I would beat hell out of the header personally, extract a little revenge for all the blood and flesh I've lost to headers over the years.

Bent oil filters is bad juju, some say. I'll run em with a small ding that I don't think goes to the media. Oil filter manufacturers will not warrant a bent filter, nor will an engine manufacturer if their engine's filter gets bent.

Heck, the way we change oil/filters in our cars whether they need it or not, a shorty filter isn't a big deal. My good engines never darken the oil hardly and I change it.

And I'd bet,,,,,if you were to lay open a newer vortec 350 tinker toy filter and a shorty of our older bigger OD style, you'd find the shorty may have close to the same area media. maybe. heck Idunno. But I'll still lay a nickel on it.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
57099 is the shorty wix and PF454CL is the ac. Bent oil filters is bad juju, some say. I'll run em with a small ding that I don't think goes to the media. Oil filter manufacturers will not warrant a bent filter, nor will an engine manufacturer if their engine's filter gets bent.
If you remove the filter, take a length of wood, say the length of the tube, place the wood against the tube, pry with a crowbar using the block as the fulcum, the 1/4-3/8 inch of clearance is there.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

I doubt it. That's a tough place to get any leverage. I'd mark it and pull it off.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech
Filip

Just go with the shorty filter. Its actually not how big the filter is or even how much filter material in the filter,It comes down to how many microns the filter material will filter. Sometimes bigger is not better. In todays modern high revving engines the filters are referred to cotton reel filters cause they are actually quite small in size but are more effective than the big old filters. Just make sure you buy a quality filter with anti drain and relief valve built and you wont have a problem.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicamaro View Post
Just go with the shorty filter. Its actually not how big the filter is or even how much filter material in the filter,It comes down to how many microns the filter material will filter. Sometimes bigger is not better. In todays modern high revving engines the filters are referred to cotton reel filters cause they are actually quite small in size but are more effective than the big old filters. Just make sure you buy a quality filter with anti drain and relief valve built and you wont have a problem.
Filters.. Bigger is always better.
The larger the filtering area, the less restriction. The less microns, the more restriction, so you need area.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
If you remove the filter, take a length of wood, say the length of the tube, place the wood against the tube, pry with a crowbar using the block as the fulcum, the 1/4-3/8 inch of clearance is there.

yup, I would pry on the tube too but it's more fun to remember beating on headers.

It depends on which tube whether it stays or not and looking at his pic I think you are right as usual Ev. Before I went to a remote filter on my car I gained a lot of clearance beating and prying, but still had to remove all the lb header bolts to get enough clearance to get the filter in or out of there without making a mess. Kickout would say nonono, let the mess begin. Had to lay the filter horizontal and do it from the front.

Pretty expensive doing a remote filter with 3/4" ss, brought on problems of it's own ...... but fighting headers isn't one of them. And now if I want to do an oil cooler or delta p gauge it's all easy access. I know the man said he ain't doing a remote filter. Doesn't look like he needs to. I needed to.

Tim Smith
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nev

Thanks for all the advice.
I have kept the larger filter.
I marked the filter with a pen where it was touching the header, turned the filter 90 degrees and "massaged" the appropriate area with a mallet then tightend the filter back up again.
Now I have approx 1/4" clearance.

I am thinking I will go for a remote filter setup later.

Anyone got any suggestions for remote filter set ups?

Rgds,
Nev

383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 04:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

A/c delco or wix..the only 2 choices..all the other are gimmics!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode