took car for test drive/smoke coming from... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

took car for test drive/smoke coming from...

cars been sitting still for about 3 and half months. drove it last night around the block after jumping the battery. didn't let it run long enough and it died when I got home. this morning I charge it good and drive it for about 20 minutes. looked under the hood and see a little smoke coming from the drivers side exhaust manifold, right about even with the brake booster.
HISTORY OF THE CAR: about the time I put it away for a few months. I had some fouling of the spark plugs and problem over-heating. someone had left something in the radiator that was blocking flow and that was causing the overheating. I kept an eye on the oil and it appeard fine, so I never worried about the plugs, today the oil looks fine. thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Re: took car for test drive/smoke coming from...

leaking valve cover gasket.

Dan E.
68 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 09, 05:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

From the history it sounds like a head gasket/intake leak. The fouling of plugs was it oil or fuel?

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
From the history it sounds like a head gasket/intake leak. The fouling of plugs was it oil or fuel?
I'll have to look at the work order done at the time. Sounds like I'm off to my engine-builder buddy for an exam.

|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

ONE MORE THING: I know it's common for a little moisture to come out of the tailpipes upon starting. After the car had warmed up and was driven around the block a few times, it had some "spitting" of water out the pipes.

|
|
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Did it smell "sweet"? If it is an intake leak, the plug would be fouled with coolant or oil. You really have to drive it to the point it reaches operating temp. Do check the valve cover for a leak which would cause the header to smoke.

alan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 09, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
ONE MORE THING: I know it's common for a little moisture to come out of the tailpipes upon starting. After the car had warmed up and was driven around the block a few times, it had some "spitting" of water out the pipes.
Moisture builds up in the exhaust its normal if it gets cold in your area.

1975 Camaro "Black Out"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

He said the smoke was coming from under the booster area, not the tail pipe. It sounds like the valve cover may be leaking or the head gasket may be leaking, but you will have to get in there and get dirty to find out.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
He said the smoke was coming from under the booster area, not the tail pipe. It sounds like the valve cover may be leaking or the head gasket may be leaking, but you will have to get in there and get dirty to find out.
to clearify, the smoke was coming from the back of the exhaust manifold ABOUT EVEN where the break booster is. Not coming from UNDER the booster area. I'm concerned about the water coming from the tailpipes because it had been warmed up for about 10 minutes and driven around the block 4 times or so. (which was good because I finally got a look at that hot chick that lives around the corner and drives the nice Mustang... but that's not important now).

I believe this to be the matching numbers motor with 51,000 miles. I'm done driving it till I get it checked out. thanks guys. (I couldn't find the work order to see if the plugs were fouled by fuel or oil...)

|
|
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech

You might want to check behind the intake manifold on the drivers side on the block and see if the oil pressure connection is leaking also. Is the smoke coming off of the exhaust manifold for sure or is it just that area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode