test and tune - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 09, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

test and tune

I just recently replaced my points/dist with a daves small-body unit in my 68 with 327/4bbl q-jet 291 heads stock cam, intake etc, cowl induction, K&N dual exhaust stock manifolds. while my idle, tip in and starting are good my "seat of the pants" performance seems to have lessened. I set up the dist for 10 degress initial and using ported vacuum, (full mainfold vacuum caused intermittant starting issues) my vacuum guage reading is 21 and steady, full voltage 14.2 is read at coil +. spark plugs are gapped at .035 AC delco 45 I have experimented with idle mixture screws and notice performance,throttle response seems to improve when I richen the mixture although then idle suffers and exhaust gas smell is noticible when idling in traffic. I was wondering if the new High energy ignition is causing me to run leaner. I have no idea of what jets or rods etc. are in my q-jet. It was rebuild 5 years ago and besides having to pump it a little extra after sitting over the weekend it has been good to me. The old plugs when removed from the points setup were also a little light in color. car is strictly a daily driver just trying to get a little more out of her. Thanks for feedback. Dan

68 camaro RS 327/275 THM350 4 wheel disc brake 8.5 10 bolt 3.42 daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 09, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: test and tune

Check the springs on the weights under the rotor compared to your old distributor. Most likely the new ones are medium weight. You can get a little more acceleration by going to a lighter spring or mix of light/medium springs which allows the advance to come on faster. You'd have to see how it drove like that to make sure it doesn't cause problems. I run a light enough set of springs so all of my advance is in by 3000 RPM.

You can also most likely run more advance. Find out how much mechanical advance is in the distributor (most likely around 20 degrees). Bump your initial timing up so your total timing (initial + mechanical) is around 34-36 degrees total.

Also you can mess with your vacuum advance some to get more part-throttle response.

If you changed out nothing but the distributor/ignition then you shouldn't really have anything to do on the carb.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode