Which Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Which Engine

I am ready for a engine in a 69 Camaro 12 bolt, Muncie 4 speed project car. There are alot of choices out there. I do not know alot about engines but have been told that GMPP engines are the best crate made. I have narrowed it down to a small block GM ZZ4 or the Fast Burn 385. This car will be a driver, and I will drive it alot. I have heard that the ZZ4 only puts out about 315 HP and gets bad gas milage. I have also heard that the 385 is a better driver because it gets better gas milage. Then two weeks later I heard the ZZ4 was the better engine. I want dependability but with a little fun. 350 to 385 HP sounds about right for a driver. Any input on these two engine would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Which Engine

how much are you willing to spend? I'm a fan of the 383 stroker myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

I wouldnt say they are the best as they are line built and have there fair shair of warrantys/horror storries. It just depends on what you want. Any respectable builder can build a better engine competitvely priced. What do you plan on doing with the car, just drive, street/strip etc? Gas mileage isnt made by just the engine....its your whole powertrain setup. There are people running 600+hp with a nice 3.73 gear and overdrive tranny getting 15+mpg. If your looking for fun 350+hp for a street car is respectable, I think you would be dissapointed in 315hp.

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES

Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 10:10 AM
Team Member
Kevin

There are several ZZ/4 crate engines. I have the 350cu.in/355 hp one. I am very happy with it, but I am in the process of changing cams. PM me and I can tell you where I found the best price.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
I wouldnt say they are the best as they are line built and have there fair shair of warrantys/horror storries. It just depends on what you want. Any respectable builder can build a better engine competitvely priced. What do you plan on doing with the car, just drive, street/strip etc? Gas mileage isnt made by just the engine....its your whole powertrain setup. There are people running 600+hp with a nice 3.73 gear and overdrive tranny getting 15+mpg. If your looking for fun 350+hp for a street car is respectable, I think you would be dissapointed in 315hp.
I agree with Brandon, I bought a GM crate motor, ZZZ years ago. I didn't like it, after about 1000 miles I turned it into a 383. During tear down I found a worn cam & the torque specs were off. I will never buy a GM crate motor again. I can have one professionally built for the same money & more reliable.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 09, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

There's a certain amount of reliability in all the new parts you get in a GM crate. But with that said, if i had to do it over again, i would buy the ZZ4 or ZZ383 short block and build it out from their solid base. i've run a zz4 crate since 2001 with absoultly no problems and in front of a tko would always get 21 + mpg at 70 to 75 mph. this year i rebuilt the heads, stuck it with a thumper cam and EPS manifold. I dont get the mileage anymore but its more of a screamer than it was..

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Thanks for the input, I will keep looking around and see what else is out there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

The fastburn cylinder heads are good, the fastburn 385 is the better all around engine, no questions about it.

You can find a much cheaper engine machined by a much better shop, second hand and make A LOT more power for A LOT lower cost.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 09, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I didn't want a off the shelf crate motor so I had a motor built for me to my specs. Started with a late model GMPP roller block and went from there. Long block with intake & damper cost me just over $4K including shipping to my door. There are a lot of options out there and many, many engine builders so if you chose to have someone build a motor for you PLEASE check their references and also the BBB before plunking down any cash.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 12:44 PM
Tech Team

Build a 406, you will get a lot of torque for the best money.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

I'm just curous why you'd go with the Fast Burn 385 vs. the ZZ383. Aren't they roughly the same price but the ZZ383 has more hp & tq. Just going off memory so correct me if wrong about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode