Oil Filter Trapped - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry Oil Filter Trapped

I am getting ready to put my new engine in and I test fitted the headers and I found that the oil filter will not come out by the headers and oil pan and bell housing. Here is my set up.
427 dart SHP block
Moroso 7 qt pan
Dougs 368 Headers
Lakewood Bellhousing
What are my options? It looks like if the bellhousing had a half moon bite out of it it may come out that way. Is there a remote filter option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 05:17 PM

Re: Oil Filter Trapped

I have the same problem-I can get a small filter in but I like bigger filters so I run an adapter that screws on the filter mount and has a in/out 1/2 pipe thread holes with 12 AN hoses to the filter mount/cooler
There is a real nice adapter that bolts on(uses the pres relief holes)Moroso?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 09, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
I am getting ready to put my new engine in and I test fitted the headers and I found that the oil filter will not come out by the headers and oil pan and bell housing. Here is my set up.
427 dart SHP block
Moroso 7 qt pan
Dougs 368 Headers
Lakewood Bellhousing
What are my options? It looks like if the bellhousing had a half moon bite out of it it may come out that way. Is there a remote filter option?
Which are you using? The quart filter or half quart? You could try a PF454 to see if there is enough clearance.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have the quart on it now. But I don't see how a shorter one will work it the diameter that seams to be the problume, I will get one and try it thought to be sure.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I use the PF 454 on the Camaro and the Corvette with headers and there is no issue with clearance or removal. The only thing I have to do is put a small sheet of plastic over the headers when I change the filter to keep the oil from running down on them.

There's a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!

69 Camaro SS 350 4 Speed (5 Speed)
69 Corvette L46 Roadster 4 Speed
99 Corvette 1SC Roadster 6 Speed
Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 & 13
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 08:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

When I was running my 355 with moroso kick out pan and hooker super comps, I had to take the Z bar out everytime I changed the filter, It was a real PITA. Oil all over the headers just a mess.
When I put in my 400, I used d368 doug's and a B&B drag pan, Filter has plenty of room comes right out.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

A couple tips for not getting oil all over the headers that I learned years ago froma crusty old mechanic I worked with.

1. Use a 12" section of 5" dia heating duct as a shield. Wrap it around the collector area. Any oil that hits it will drip off and it won't be a fire/melt risk like plastic or paper towels.

2. Pierce the end of the filter with a centering punch and let the oil drain while you drain the oil from the oil pan. A coffee can (metal or plastic) works great as a drip pan for the filter.

When everything is drained, remove the filter and you'll have a lot less mess to deal with.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

That or just put a remote mount on the front frame stub and change your oil with your eyes closed.

You can see the blue filter up in the far right hand corner.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Went to NAPA and got a short filter and it woun't go out the bottom but it would come out through the top but there is a boss sticking out of the block just in front of the oil filter area that if I where to cut it off would let the filter come out the top. Is there any reason to not cut this boss off from the block? It is a dart SHP and I am not sure what this boss was for. It has a threaded hole in it like the one for the Z bar but is about 6" in front that location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode