BEWARE: GM "Dex-Cool" Anti-Freeze - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

BEWARE: GM "Dex-Cool" Anti-Freeze

Read this link : http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html

Make you wonder if the ladies aren't overheating the engines ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: BEWARE: GM "Dex-Cool" Anti-Freeze

That place is the opposite of here. We are here because we all love Camaros, they are there to compalian about products. You happened to hit the page about Dex Cool. I've had it in my truck for it's whole life (11 Yrs)and I can't confirm any problems that can be traced to Dex Cool.
Just my .02 YMMV

Jeff
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 06:08 PM
Kevin

Running dexcool in both my 2004s, no problems!

Kevin

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 06:13 PM
Banned
Alan

I have a 1998 Suburban, replaced 2 water pumps,radiator,,thermostat,intake gasket.........took out thermostat,flushed dexcool out after 1 hour reving up here and there,finally got a clear visual ,put in green prestone and over 120,000 miles later no problems.
Do a search
http://www.google.com/custom?domains...ORID%3A1&hl=en
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

wow, this is such an old problem

there should be NO problems with dexcool if it is used properly, and with distilled water

my car had dexcool, and it was fine, i maintained the cooling system and used only distilled water.. at about 120k miles i flushed it out and put prestone extended life in (compatible with all colors of coolant)

meanwhile my fathers car had the dexcool get all messed up and black/brown because he would fill the overflow up with hose water, and in turn it ruined his intake gasket.

im not a fan of dexcool, but i wont bash it either because it works flawlessly if the cooling system is maintained properly
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 09:14 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Of the 6 cars I still have only my 98 Grand Prix and possibly my 04 GTO have Dexcool. The GTO sits mostly so I can honestly say I've never even looked at the coolant. But the 98 GP's cooling system was a mess after a few years with Dexcool. I got tired of having it flushed due to all the brown build up every couple years and just switched to the Prestone and have had no issues since.

Hadn't thought about distilled water. That would probably help, but it's a shame it's that critical. All my other cars use tap water and no issues.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Dexcool is supposed to be used with distilled water. That was an error on GM's part thinking that people would actually follow directions. That being said, GM is known for leaky water pumps and intakes.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 09, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech
Levi

Ive used dexcool in my 75 stock radiator even with the hose water no problems. Its still orange but who cares nothing hurts chevys.

1975 Camaro "Black Out"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 02:02 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Wink Re: BEWARE: GM "Dex-Cool" Anti-Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Dexcool is supposed to be used with distilled water. That was an error on GM's part thinking that people would actually follow directions. That being said, GM is known for leaky water pumps and intakes.
Todd you are right. People aren't going to read instructions for something they've been doing all their lives, especially a simple task like this. Large bold letters across the top of the bottle of Dexcool that say "USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY" would probably have saved everyone, GM included, a lot of grief. But then if I read that on the bottle I'm probably buying the competitors product to save myself the trouble. GM was probably aware of that also.

When the low coolant light comes on and you're on the road you are going to top it up with whatever you can get your hands on. GM engineers should've known better than this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 02:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

all gm cars have had dex for a long time, and most work well. I had one, an 03 malibu, that didn't.

I'm not sure about the distilled water, after all a sealed cooling system should not be using any or needing to be topped off.

One thing for sure dex doesn't like is air.
The system has to be full to the top and pressurized, no air bubbles. In that malibu, even the expansion tank is pressurized. It delveloped a leaky intake gasket, changed it, flushed and filled with orange, no more problems.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 09:08 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

I agree with Jim in that a sealed system should not be needing any fluid added. That said the problems with GM plastic air intake plenums is well documented in that they crack due to problems near the EGR take off. The result is often coolant leaks that are hard to put your finger on unless you are aware of the design problems of the GM intakes. That's exactly what we have going on right now with the Grand Prix. After talking with several people who've all had to replace their intake manifolds due cracking I'm pretty sure that's going to be the source of the leak on the Grand Prix.

Luckily Dorman makes a more robust designed intake manifold for the GM 3.8 motor that solves the issues with the heat from the EGR cracking the intake. That's the route I'll be going. Bottom line is as a result we've had to add coolant/water for a while until we found the leak.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 09:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

I have a 96 z-71 with a vortec 350, I never saw any kind of sticker anywhere about proper care concerning the coolant system. I added water to the radiator in small amounts over time....then everything started leaking. Intake, quick disconnect POS, radiator, water pump.....a mechanic told me it was due to air getting into the system that started the corrosion process.
We flushed the radiator on the truck and ran a hose through it for 30 minutes and the water never cleared up . It was unreal.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 09:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Oh, and i forgot we replaced the heater core too. I would replace whatever was leaking and within 2 weeks something else would start leaking.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 09:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Deb's 96 Burban drinks dexcool. Couple quarts a month easy, and always has. It is filthy brown, always has been even after I did a mega-flush. Now the drivers side radiator header tank is leaking a little and we said heck with it and put some radiator in a can in it. When I met Deb 7 years ago that thing had about 150k on it, and now it has about 300k. I guess if it goes belly up, it won't be entirely from antifreeze issues. Knocks like hell on startup(always has but now it's obscene), I gave it 2 quarts of 40 wt a couple days ago to help ease its pain. Tranny is leaking now too. I've been telling her for 2 years to trade it off. She don't wanna.

Damn, I don't wanna put an engine in a Burban. They look like they suck pretty bad to r&r. Oh well.

Tim Smith
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 09, 10:00 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

dex isn't the issue, people that continue to drive their cars and trucks in a state of disrepair is the problem. keep the system sealed, flush it every 5 years( who does this??) distilled water may help as some water contains minerals that will accelerate the corrsion process. 3.1/3.4 excluded of course as thier intake gaskets are a known issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode