Oil Pressure - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Oil Pressure

I was driving the Camaro yesterday and noticed that during cruise the oil pressure needle fluctuated a tiny bit.
When I increased throttle the needle actually dipped from 60 psi down to 40 psi and then came back up again. Over the span of 1-3 seconds, the pressure would drop and then come back to 60 when I hit the throttle.

This did not happen when in neutral.

What does this mean? Is my engine ready to give up the ghost?

Could this be a bad oil filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 01:20 PM
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Oil Pressure

If it doesn't happen in neutral, but does when your moving, it would seem to me not enough oil is not getting drawn up into the pickup when you first accelerate & then it stacks up in the back of the pan and covers it again. Maybe your low on oil?

Some videos I'v made for youtube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

How much of an increase in throttle are we talking?
If the oil dips down from a steady psi, 60 and goes to 40 under acceleration, I would guess that it is pumping oil to the upper end too fast and not draining back in the pan fast enough (oil starvation).
Does the oil pressure increase after you let off the throttle after a good acceleration?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 05:13 PM

What oil pan are you runnin?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Has the pick up fallen off?
You'd be surprised how common that is..

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
How much of an increase in throttle are we talking?
If the oil dips down from a steady psi, 60 and goes to 40 under acceleration, I would guess that it is pumping oil to the upper end too fast and not draining back in the pan fast enough (oil starvation).
Does the oil pressure increase after you let off the throttle after a good acceleration?
Yeah it picks right back up after I get off the throttle or if I just stay on the throttle it picks up too but takes about 2 seconds. The throttle increase is a 3rd gear hit from 2800 rpm to say 3900-4000 and then when I get to 50-60 I back off to maintain that speed. Doesn't take long to get there.
The oil pan I'm using is a 7 quart milodon. I checked the oil and it was a quart low.
Not sure why, just haven't checked it in awhile and did notices a bit of a pool on the ground when I left that day. When I cleaned it up it was bigger than I thought. Perhaps I didn't put the oil pan plug on good enough because the pool was right under that.

I'll add oil and see if that does anything.
Would being 1 quart low cause this sort of thing?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

When you are accelerating and you notice this, is the motor fully warmed up? Has the engine gone through a few heat cycles?
I know in my stock L-31 vortec truck if I have to accelerate moderately fast the oil pressure will go from 60 to 40 when it is still not warm enough.
Does your temp gauge read at least 180* when this occurs, or is the temp lower?
The oil pressure picking up on deceleration from a high rpm is cause from vaccum and possible warn rings? I read something about that not too long ago, I know on race engines that do not use vacuum pumps after going wide open from 6k to 7k rpm and back to closed throttle can cause too much vacuum and throw rods and so on, my cousin's dragster did this when before they put vaccum pumps on all of their motors.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 09, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
When you are accelerating and you notice this, is the motor fully warmed up? Has the engine gone through a few heat cycles?
I know in my stock L-31 vortec truck if I have to accelerate moderately fast the oil pressure will go from 60 to 40 when it is still not warm enough.
Does your temp gauge read at least 180* when this occurs, or is the temp lower?
The oil pressure picking up on deceleration from a high rpm is cause from vaccum and possible warn rings? I read something about that not too long ago, I know on race engines that do not use vacuum pumps after going wide open from 6k to 7k rpm and back to closed throttle can cause too much vacuum and throw rods and so on, my cousin's dragster did this when before they put vaccum pumps on all of their motors.

It wasn't fully warm. It was 160 or so because it wasn't a real warm day. I'm always fighting hi temps usually on warm summer days and it was hi 40's lo 50's with hi humidity and it wouldn't come up to temp fully unless I idled for awhile.
Then as soon as I drove more than 1/2 mile, the temp dropped down again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode