99 Engine Issue - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

99 Engine Issue

Newby here from Tennessee. I have a 99 3800 V6. My problem is intermittent. The engine cranks over, and almost starts, but then won't start. It acts just like a no fuel issue but I have 47 psi fuel pressure. It will not start w/ carb cleaner into the intake. I replaced the ignition module under the coils and it started and ran fine...for about 5 min. It has done this with the old module, too. There are no codes. At one point, I got it started but only while pumping the throttle. Can someone please give me some direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 03:22 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Re: 99 Engine Issue

You may want to check the timing chain assembly. If it has high miles and a nylon camshaft gear, they tend to wear out and skip a tooth or more. I did one on a '88 v-6, and it was trashed. If it was the crankshaft positioner sensor, you would have a code flashing for sure. You may want to pull the codes again and see if any come up. Good luck.

1969 Camaro
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

On the engine you replaced the timing chain on, did it run fine occasionally?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbelt View Post
On the engine you replaced the timing chain on, did it run fine occasionally?
No, when the timing chain went, it didn't run. I was trying to remember, because I haven't owned the car for sometime. Before the cam gear/ chain issue, I was experiencing an intermittent problem. The car would start up, run fine for a while, but then would die. It would happen at the most inconvenient times, of course. Got the car to my shop and traced it down to the crank sensor. It was external as well, so pretty easy job to replace it. You may also want to check the injectors and make sure they are not leaking. Make sure you have enough fuel, pull the plugs they might be fouled. Re-check the fuel pressure, with the key on, not while cranking the engine. Get the intake air flow system back together, all the way to the throtle body, connect everything. The ECM will pick up the bad connections and the engine won't run right. Once the key is on and there is sufficient fuel pressure in the system, there is correct ignition, etc, there should be no need to prime it with carb cleaner. Fuel pressure should be 48-55 psi from the fuel pressure test port. Good luck
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ken. I did all those things you suggested, some more than once just to make sure. For some reason, though, I unplugged the MAF sensor and now it runs great. I get a code on the second engine cycle but still runs good. I'll drive it a day or 2 to see, then get one of the "gold" MAF sensors if all remains working. $130.00!!!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 09, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

That's some good new Mike, i'm glad YOU got it running ok, good job!
Can you post the code or codes that are comming up? Did you get the gold MAF sensor yet?

1969 Camaro
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 09, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

No, I haven't gotten the sensor yet. The car is now idling fine but won't accellerate. I was getting no code before but since I unplugged the maf sensor, the "service engine soon" light has come on. I haven't scanned it yet, though. I'll try this weekend to clean it w/ some sensor cleaner and report back. Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, I tried the sensor cleaner but no help. So I replaced the sensor. Working great now! I did notice, however, that while the engine was idling w/ the bad sensor unplugged, I could plug it in and the engine would die. Funny though, the computer never flashed a code. I've noticed too that the engine responds better now as far as throttle response than it did w/ the old sensor, even before it finally completely failed. Hope this can help others. Mike
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 09, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

A rod is cool, but daily transportation is a must. Pull you're dipstick and see if there is a strong smell of raw gas, or it looks thinned down, a new filter and oil will be needed.
Ken

1969 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode