PS Pulley Removal - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

PS Pulley Removal

I checked the forum on this before posting my question and did not see any advice on my particular problem. I have a woodruff key'd PS pump with a double groove pulley. I'm going to replace it with a billet single groove pulley. In attempting to remove the old pulley last night, I took off the retaining nut. However, the pulley only travels maybe 1/8 inch up the pump shaft before I feel a very solid "clunk" where something is keeping it on the shaft. I tried lightly prying and tapping and got no where. Seems that something is still retaining it.

Anyone know what this is and how you remove it?

Here is a picture of my pump
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4071765421/

thanks!

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 09:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Re: PS Pulley Removal

there's a couple types of pullers used. The most common is this:

http://www.toolking.com/performancetools_w80653.aspx

I think this other type has less chance of bending the pulley as it clamps over the nut area on your pulley, and pulls from the center, but I've used both without issue:

http://www.toolking.com/performancetools_w87020.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I wasn't under the impression that a woodruff style pump needed a puller? They do?

1969 Camaro 383
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 10:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Camaro Guy View Post
I wasn't under the impression that a woodruff style pump needed a puller? They do?
the ones I've had do. They get "stuck" on the shaft. The late model stuff has always come off easily by hand, but my older stock ps pumps never did. You can usually rent or borrow the puller from Autozone and similar auto parts houses.

Jody

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 10:43 AM
Bill

Brian,
Get a helper. One of you holds the pulley flat with the weight of the pump hanging from it, the other guy takes a brass punch and a hammer and I bet that one hit and it will be off.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Brian,
Get a helper. One of you holds the pulley flat with the weight of the pump hanging from it, the other guy takes a brass punch and a hammer and I bet that one hit and it will be off.
excellent idea, I've done that too, works pretty much every time. My memory is going......................

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Make sure you have a box with rags for a soft landing?

alan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yeah that box of rags is already under the thing, it can't be moved without dripping PS Fluid all over the place after I swear I have completely drained it 4 times now!

Do I need to shim it when going to a 1 groove pulley? Seems like I could have alignment issues given that the replacement pulley isn't stock. If so do I need to get special shims or can washers work?

1969 Camaro 383
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

i just used a regular old gear puller to take mine off. no damage to the pulley at all.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 07:04 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Autozone will lend you the tool for free, they just ask for the $45 deposit that you get back when you return the tool. The tool costs $45 so it covers them if you don't bring it back. That said everytime this summer that I needed this (3 times) it was out on loan to someone. The problem is they allow you to keep it for 90 days! That's what I said 90 DAYS. Heck you could run a shop and never buy a tool, just keep borrowing theirs I thought. I think this is an absurd practice because there are dead beats out there that'll not be in a hurry to return it. The first time it had been out a couple weeks already. How can someone be so self centered to not return a tool as soon as they are done with it knowing others may need it?

Now in Autozone's defense they sent me over to Advance Auto to borrow theirs. Same deal $45 deposit, all returned when tool comes back. I offered to pay for the use of the tool since I'd bought the pumps elsewhere, but Advance said they didn't want my money, just buy something there the next time, which I did. A couple times I changed the pulley in their parking lot right in the back of my truck so they'd get their tool back ASAP.

Sorry for the rant, but thought you should know there are other options besides Autozone. I'd have bought one, but don't forsee another use for it for quite sometime.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 09, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I did their program to borrow a harmonic balancer kit once. I too was amazed at how long they allow it to be on loan. It was a nice kit and they informed me that it would cost something like $150 if I bought it (or failed to return it). That was motivation enough not to have it hanging around unnecessarily! But yeah, who exactly needs 3 months?!?!?!

1969 Camaro 383
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
power steering pulley, ps pump, pulley removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode