Pull engine and trans together or separate from 74 Nova? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Pull engine and trans together or separate from 74 Nova?

I am going to be removing the engine and trans (350/350)from a 74 Nova by myself today.
The front fenders,radiator support and grille are all still on the car.

What would be the easiest way for me to remove the engine and trans?

I am planning on removing the bellhousing bolts and then removing the trans first and then pulling the engine as I do not think I could pull the engine and trans out together because the radiator support and grille are still on the car.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Pull engine and trans together or separate from 74 Nova?

I've always pulled the motor / trans together on my Camaros - have to tilt the motor back as it comes out and the car has to be up on jack stands to have room for the tail shaft to swing down out of the way - but it works well for me - would guess it would be the same in a Nova.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Did you have the fenders,radiator support and grill removed?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, one can pull the eng/trans assembly together with the front end on the car, just takes time and thinking ahead of what action might happen, blankets over the front fenders and grille come to mind to protect from scratches.

You can remove both items separately, I would do engine first, then unbolt trans from crossmember and pull out trans.

Be prepared for an oil slick. As soon as trans tilts up, oil drips out the tailhousing.

Be careful, think before executing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How many bolts are there on the bellhousing that attach the trans to the block?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 08:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I have pulled the motor/tranny unit together a few times by myself. The thing you will need that makes this alot simpler is an engine leveler. You can do it with rad support in. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80048/10002/-1 I bought one at my local car quest.
This will allow you to tilt your motor/tranny unit as it comes out, limiting the banging that happens. I also jack my car up about 15". If you do it together get a "tranny plug" that goes over the end to prevent the fluid from leaking out and alot of kitty litter to soak up all of the fluid that you thought was already out.

Pull the distributor will also make this easier. If you are going to rebuild the motor the distributor position is not important. I you are not going to rebuild the motor make sure you not the position of the rotor when you pull it so it is placed back correctly.

Rick

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It sounds like and looks like pulling the engine and trans together will be more of a pain and risky for one person to do...given the small amount of space in that 74 Nova engine compartment.
I would seem safer for me to remove the trans first and then the engine. I think I will go that direction.

Thanks guys!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
john

together

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320King View Post
Did you have the fenders,radiator support and grill removed?
nope, all that was in place - radiator out, fan off, lower pulley off and it came out fine. As mentioned, an engine leveler is the cats meow doing this to control the engine and the car has to be up in the air some. Like I said, my experience is with a 69 camaro - not a Nova.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech

take off the hood, remove the radiator, unbolt the engine and trans mounts, remove the carb, bolt a lift plate to where the carb just came from, pull motor and trans as a unit.
it is honetly a lot less screwing around to pull them as a unit than it is to fight the bellhousing and torque converter bolts and fund a way to support the trans when you pull the motor.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
take off the hood, remove the radiator, unbolt the engine and trans mounts, remove the carb, bolt a lift plate to where the carb just came from, pull motor and trans as a unit.
it is honetly a lot less screwing around to pull them as a unit than it is to fight the bellhousing and torque converter bolts and fund a way to support the trans when you pull the motor.
I have all that stuff done except for unbolting the trans cross member and linkage.

I will reconsider taking the engine and trans out as a unit as maybe it will give me less headache than pulling the trans first and having to deal with the bellhousing bolts and sliding the trans out of the torque converter all the while supporting the trans while backing it off.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Do it with the engine and trans together.You need to take the trans crossmember out and put a floor jack under the trans.You can aviod a trans fluid slick by putting a driveshaft yoke into the tail of the trans before removing it.I have seen some guys make due using a spray paint can cap and a lot of electrical tape wrapped real tight,but a spare junkyard yoke or the one off your driveshaft is the way to go.I do them with the radiator out,the fan off and everything else on.You should remove the starter and oil filter before pulling the engine no matter how you do it.Good luck.

BTW,just remember that with a yoke in the trans,you have to be carefull that the yoke doesnt get snagged on something under the car and end up falling out.Use a little duct tape to keep it on or just keep an eye on it as you work.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

If it's an auto and the trans doesn't really need to come out, I leave it. The top two trans bolts are easy with a ratchet wrench with the hood off.

Parts you leave untouched.

Drive shaft (no leaks)
Cross member
Speedo cable
Trans cooler lines
Shifter cable and or linkage
Temp gauge wire (in my case)
O.D. wiring (in my case)

The engine will come up and out with very little forward motion needed. I have a used a piece of plywood in front of the radiator to avoid pulling it and disconnecting the trans lines (fan off of course).

I also have a 2x8 (I believe it is) cut just right that bolts to the big round holes on each side of the sub frame to support the trans. You can move the car any time after the engine it out without messing with a jack or whatever for the trans.

Just my way, which ever works best for you is good.

EDIT After posting I realize the trans is coming out anyway. I'll leave what I typed for someone else perhaps.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

Last edited by rojo; Nov 7th, 09 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Didn't pay attention to the issue.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech

to add to what has been said by myself and others- unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate and slide it all the way back into the trans when you are under the car unhooking the trans and what not. this makes it easier to separate the trans from the motor after the engine is out- it isn't fun fighting with tight torque converter bolts when the engine is dangling on a cherry picker..
just one of the many little time/aggravation saving tricks i've picked up over 20 years of tearing cars apart and attempting to put them back together. after a few engine remove/install procedures, you start to learn what tools you will need and what order to take things apart. i can get most small block Chevies out of any car or truck in a couple of hours all by myself- and that is starting with a complete and fully functional vehicle that i drive into the garage.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 09, 11:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

If you are going to do work on the transmission, pull them together. If the transmission is good to go, you can pull the motor as noted after putting a 4x4 cut to fit between the fenders with a chain attached to the transmission to hold it up as the motor comes out.

Charlie
69 Camaro RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode