Opinions on cam selection - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Opinions on cam selection

im building a 302 for my 69 z clone and wanted to know what everyone thinks about the cam my friend picked. i admit that i dont know as much about cams as i would like. i took a 350 block and had it bored .030 over, forged 3.0 stroke crank, 6 inch h beams, with 14cc dome ross forged pistons, zero decked, 64 cc 190cc ports aluminum heads, 1.6 rockers, with a vic jr intake.
thanks tj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z28 Cam.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	13680  

Last edited by z28kid; Jan 10th, 10 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Re: opinions on cam selection

Thats a health cam for a street driven 302.It will have a pretty good lope to the idle.The short lobe centerline will put so mid range back in it especially with the fairly large heads.Plan on shifting it at about 7000 at the drags.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

That is a lot of cam and huge runners on a 302, I bet it would pull to 8k.
The cam already has .555" of lift with 1.5's, by going to 1.6's your going to have more lift, you should def. check your piston to valve clearance.
Don't run that cam unless you have at the very least 11:1 or higher.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

yep, i built it to handle 8k. i ran out of room to post a pic of my valve clearance, ross pistons have deep reliefs cut in them. i plan on running a tko 500. it has 3.08 gear now but that will more than likely change that to a 3.73 or 3.55. if im not mistaken the erson solid roller im running is bigger than the stock dz cam but smaller than the 30-30 cam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	13683   Click image for larger version

Name:	302 heads on.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	13684  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

That cam is bigger than the 30/30 and the off road cam (lift wise)
I thought the DZ's got the same cam.
With the tko and over drive, you will be good with a 3.73 or 4.10
It would be a dog on the street with 3.08's
I didn't realize that cam was a roller either, certainly superior to any of the f/t cams of the day.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

with the tko low first is the only reason i changed my mind on gearing. i planned on 4.10 with a muncie at first, but im thinking more about 3.73 tko combo. i meant the 140 offroad, but i was talking about duration.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

i was also wondering what kind of power yall think she might make.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

430-450 @ the crank?
What brand are the heads, and what exactly has been done to them, flow #'s, was the motor blue printed?

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 10, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

they are pro-filer, you cant beat them for the price and they are american. there is another thread on here comparing them to comp. CNCed afr's... the afrs flow more but not by a lot. all i did was hit them with the cartridge roll and clean them up since thay are just cast. i didnt put them on a flow bench. i blueprinted and built the engine myself. i was hoping for about 380 - 420 at the ground. this is my first v8 car never thought i would actually own a 69 camaro

Last edited by z28kid; Jan 10th, 10 at 09:14 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

it wont let me put a picture of the piston to valve clearance on here, i could email it tho if anyone was interested. i even tried to put it in my photo album and share it with everyone but said that was a invalid file.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Maybe I screwed up, but I get 11.7:1 SCR and 9.1:1 DCR - both seem pretty high for a street driven car.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I have a 302 built before you were born. .030, 5.7 rods 15.4 domes, large crane hydraulic(lost specs)VR JR, 3.73. It does not have good street manners and no low torque at all, but will rev to high heaven. If you are going to the track fine, street you will not like it unless you enjoy contact with the local constabularies. The Vr Jr doesn't come on until 3500 but will handle 8500 rpm. Mine has been estimated at 400 -450 HP by several mechanics and computer programs. I am going to make changes shortly.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
I have a 302 built before you were born. .030, 5.7 rods 15.4 domes, large crane hydraulic(lost specs)VR JR, 3.73. It does not have good street manners and no low torque at all, but will rev to high heaven. If you are going to the track fine, street you will not like it unless you enjoy contact with the local constabularies. The Vr Jr doesn't come on until 3500 but will handle 8500 rpm. Mine has been estimated at 400 -450 HP by several mechanics and computer programs. I am going to make changes shortly.
i will hopefully take it to the track some, maybe even some vintage road races. the DZs werent known for thier streetability, but high rpm powerhouses meant for racing. Its gonna tickle me to death just being able to drive it, i have never had a nice vehicle so im not used to comfort anyway. i just wanted a 69 camaro with some balls without having the run of the mill setup. i wanted to keep it small block and i fell in love with z28s so why not build a 302, and shut up my buddy and his a 08 Mustang GT. i did my research when i was picking my parts, i know what i got myself into and i appreciate the concern from you guys. im young and i wanna act like it. i might change my setup in 10 to 20 years when i want more street manners but until then i may have to run 93 octane with mixing some 110 in there. thanks to everyone who is posting on here, i appreciate all comments.
TJ
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28kid View Post
yep, i built it to handle 8k. i ran out of room to post a pic of my valve clearance, ross pistons have deep reliefs cut in them. i plan on running a tko 500. it has 3.08 gear now but that will more than likely change that to a 3.73 or 3.55. if im not mistaken the erson solid roller im running is bigger than the stock dz cam but smaller than the 30-30 cam.
Kind of off-topic, but I would expect the 302 with the specs you're listing to be pretty "soft" and unhappy running at lower revs (like below 3k or so?). As such, I would strongly consider the TKO600RR trans over the TKO500. The 500 has a relatively wide 1/2 gear split compared to the 600 and the 600RR. The 600RR has a tighter 4/5 gear split that I think would play well with a high-revving 302. You don't have the same overall ratio spread as the base 500 or 600, so you'll be revving a but higher on the highway, but the tight ratio drops will make it a blast to drive with 3.73's or 4.10's
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 10, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

yeah, i expect it to be pretty lazy below 3500 rpm. i havent heard of the 600rr tho, who knows i may just get a muncie. im a pretty good ways off from buying one tho unless my income taxes are better than expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode