Intermittent Belt Squeal - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent Belt Squeal

This is on my stock 71 350. Every once in a while I get an annoying and embarrsing belt squeal when I accelerate. I've checked the belt and it's tight.

What is strange is that I noticed the when the belt squeal happens, my dash lights are much brighter than normal. Almost as if there is some type of extra voltage coming out from the alternator which causes the dash lights to be bright and that the only time when the squeal occurs. Otherwise, no squeal at all when I drive. Aside from once having A/C (all gone now), I don't know what else can be causing this exta load on the alternator.

Any thoughts. Appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Intermittent Belt Squeal

Fan, extra load would dim your lights, not brighten. Sounds like a voltage regulator defect.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Fred suggests, faulty voltage regulator. Its telling the alternator to output more than it should.
Replace it with an electronic regulator, Wells/Duralast P/N VR715 - plug & play.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
As Fred suggests, faulty voltage regulator. Its telling the alternator to output more than it should.
Replace it with an electronic regulator, Wells/Duralast P/N VR715 - plug & play.
Just wanted to close the book on one and make a post for future reference for anyone that may have the same issues.

I purchsed the Wells/Duralast regulator metioned above and my wacky voltage issue is gone. No problems since I brought this up in the orignal post.

The regulator looks slightly different than the orignal Delco that was on my car. But it fit perfect and problems are gone!

Thanks again!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I used to have that issue and the only fix was to bead blast the pulleys where the belt makes contact.
(if the groove is shiney and smooth itll squeel a bit)

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

what brand belt are you using? i use dayco top cog belts and haven't had any issues with belt squeal. The dayco's come in two different widths, for example 15350 and 17350. The 15 and 17 represent the width, where the 17 is slightly wider than the 15 and 350 represents the length, 35.0 inches. A slightly wider belt than your using now may help with the noise issue.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

When it's squealing it's slipping.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

True, the belt is slipping, but it's due to the mech reg putting the alt to full load and belt squeals.

Now since the new reg is on, demand is monitored better and so is the load on alt, less slippage.

However, still a good idea to check/tighten belt tension or change it if one cannot remember the last time it was replaced.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode