Oil in #8 exhaust port...rebuilt engine question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louie

Oil in #8 exhaust port...rebuilt engine question

I decided to put a set of Earls Header exhaust gaskets on my 454 and when I removed the Header, noticed about 1/4 of a teaspoon of black oil sitting in the exhaust area just as it enters the Header. The other exhaust ports are clean (light black soot). The engine has about 1 hour of run time on it. About 3 months ago I installed the engine and ran it to check for situations just like this. It started right up and ran like a charm. I took compression readings on it just before start up and got between 150-165 lbs on all cylinders.
The engine is a 454 punched .040 over. It has the stock oval port heads which were gone through with new valve guides and roller rockers installed. The CR is 9.5:1 and the cam is desigend for a street driven vehicle.
What would cause this oily buildup in the #8 exhaust area with only 1 hour of run time?

69 SS/RS Fathom Green 454 4 speed

Bumper sticker- My other auto is a .45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Oil in #8 exhaust port...rebuilt engine question

Could be a leaky valve stem seal and/or poor drainback.
Looking at the cylinder head bolt, is there oil where the bolt flange meets the head?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 04:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

I second could be the valve or the seal

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Worn valve guide, seeing it is this bad, I dought a valve seal would help. Big Blocks are famous for this.

1967 RS/SS 396 4 Speed (All Stock)

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 04:57 AM
Bill

Louie,

I would look at the seal, but that is an awful lot of oil for a valve stem seal. I know guys that do not use any seals on the exhaust on Big Blocks and they dont get anything like that, maybe a small puff of smoke at start up but thats it.

Could be the intake gasket, or even rings etc. What did the spark plug in that cylinder look like compared to the others ? That would give you an idea if it is oil going through the cylinder somehow or getting in the port afterwards. Do you see any oil running down the exhaust valve stem ? How about on the other cylinders ?

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 05:01 AM
Bill

Also, like Everett said, it looks like thereis some oil around the head bolt in your picture. Make sure it isnt running down from a valve cover gasket or something. Only thing with that is it looks like the header gasket is pretty dry .... it would be pretty hard for oil to run in between the gasket and get in the port.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I suggested the seal because the valve in the port appears to be wet.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louie

This is damn peculiar. Good insight from everyone. I think I will take another compression check on all cylinders. I have not checked the other plugs but I suspect they will look like the Ex ports , black and mildly sooty. I have not pulled the plug on #8 yet but when I do the C check it will be interesting to see if it too is fouled or coated in thick black engine oil. The dip stick shows the oil to be clear, which you would expect with only 1 hour of runtime.
I don't see any oil around the head bolt. That black spot on top of the one showing is the color of the ARP head bolt, not oil.
The engine got all new pistons, valve's, guides, rings, gaskets etc. It would be surprising if it turned out to be one of those. Block was magna fluxed for cracks and came back clean. The engine builder is a real pro and a perfectionist, which is why I chose him to do this rebuild. I sent him an email with these same pic's. Well see what he says.
One more thing, I ran my finger up the exhaust valve (gigity) and there was no oil on the valve, valve stem, or where it enters the casting of the head.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Could be a leaky valve stem seal and/or poor drainback.
Looking at the cylinder head bolt, is there oil where the bolt flange meets the head?
This was a very good observation. I looked a little closer today and there are small amounts of black oil on the head bolts. Not all but maybe 4 or so. There is 1 bolt on the other side that has the same bit of oil on the flange where it meets the head. The valve cover gaskets are sealing tight with no leaking.
The engine builder called back and said that the oil is from the assembly. The engine ran less than an hour so it's possible. He mentioned that the oil could also boil out and up. Has anyone heard of this?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

[QUOTE=rad454;1360348

He mentioned that the oil could also boil out and up. Has anyone heard of this?

[/QUOTE]

If you mean in regard to oil on the bolts, yes. It looks like lube from assembly to me. I see that every day at work when things heat up after assembly.

Tim Smith
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad454 View Post
I decided to put a set of Earls Header exhaust gaskets on my 454 and when I removed the Header, noticed about 1/4 of a teaspoon of black oil sitting in the exhaust area just as it enters the Header. The other exhaust ports are clean (light black soot). The engine has about 1 hour of run time on it. About 3 months ago I installed the engine and ran it to check for situations just like this. It started right up and ran like a charm. I took compression readings on it just before start up and got between 150-165 lbs on all cylinders.
The engine is a 454 punched .040 over. It has the stock oval port heads which were gone through with new valve guides and roller rockers installed. The CR is 9.5:1 and the cam is desigend for a street driven vehicle.
What would cause this oily buildup in the #8 exhaust area with only 1 hour of run time?

Believe it or not it can be an exhaust guide to lose, or a valve seal problem, but if its the valve seal leaking, the valve guide would still have to much clearance, common problem when a shop uses a .625 factory type knock in valve guide. We put a bronze liner in the knock in and hone it to proper clearance. Remember a great valve job can only be done starting with a prefect round and strait clearanced valve guide, this allows the valve seat to be concentric to the guide, which allows the valve to seat the same way every time, when the seat contact patch is good it allows the heat to be transfered away from the head of the valve into the head, which in turn allows valve stem to transfer its heat through the valve guide assuming the clearance is right between the valve stem and guide. Bottom line, use a shop thats known for doing the best valve job around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode