Twin turbo kit - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Twin turbo kit

Hey, i'm looking to build a twin turbo sbc in the near future. Still debating if i'm going to buy a long block from shafiroff or find an engine builder in calgary or vancouver to build one. Anyways i'm wondering what you guys thought of these twin turbo kits. Banks twin turbo kit vs. wrench rat twin turbo kit (stage 2)? I can't find a price on the banks so i'm probably going to call tomorrow to find out.
http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/267/85
http://wrenchrat.com/twinturbo/
Here is the Shafiroff's long block
http://www.ultrastreet.net/poweradder/406_long_pwr.asp
If you know anyone in calgary or vancouver thats a good engine builder let me know. Calgary would be best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech
Levi

Re: twin turbo kit

The wrenchrat does look pretty good, I like turbonetic's turbo's and I only seen banks on diesel applications. Turbonetics dont carry carb numbers though just saying...

1975 Camaro "Black Out"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 05:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

think procharger!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

I called banks today, they want 5100 for there kit. prochargers are nice even thought of a procharged 540 (still might), but can't get the twin turbos out of my mind. all i know is i have to make up my mind soon before i order my subframe.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 02:11 AM
Senior Tech
Levi

Hey man read whipple's supercharger site. Seems the twin screw design is the way to go after all, who knew. 1854 german engineered technology the most effecient? way cool.

1975 Camaro "Black Out"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

The wrencrat kit looks nice, stage 2 though. Looks like no name brand wastegates and BOV. Nice though. Also looks like you cant fit power steering. It's ALOT of work to add twins in our car. I'm over a year into this build, on and off and just finshed all the plumbing. Banks is nice too, easier to install, but you have to make the downtubes and wastegats tube. I can't wait.
Mine.... https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159547

Don't forget over a grand for a fuel system.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

Last edited by mnm99; Jan 14th, 10 at 05:59 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_pilot View Post
prochargers are nice even thought of a procharged 540 (still might), but can't get the twin turbos out of my mind.
My "dream" had been to build a twin turbo car too but with no welding skills or tools and a limited budget I chose a ProCharger when it came time to do it.

Twin turbos are awesome, don't get me wrong. But like mnm said, he is a year into it and has not fired it yet. A turbo deal will take a lot of hours to build. You can do the ProCharger in as little as a weekend!

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 02:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
My "dream" had been to build a twin turbo car too but with no welding skills or tools and a limited budget I chose a ProCharger when it came time to do it.

Twin turbos are awesome, don't get me wrong. But like mnm said, he is a year into it and has not fired it yet. A turbo deal will take a lot of hours to build. You can do the ProCharger in as little as a weekend!
I've had a Procharged 540 and twin turbo cars, they're all breathtaking. No doubt, a Procharger is cheaper and way easier to install. Of course the right size turbo(s) at the same boost as the Procharger will make more power...........

Can't go wrong either way in my opinion, depends on how much you want to spend and fabricate, and the look and manners you're after.

Jody

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 03:41 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Twin turbo kit

Theres a guy here locally who has a BBC Nova and a centrifical SC... drives everywhere on pump gas ...seen with the kids and wife in tow eating ice cream out for a drive. At the track with Cam II and boost turned up clicking off mid 8's. Just bad @$$

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
The wrencrat kit looks nice, stage 2 though. Looks like no name brand wastegates and BOV. Nice though. Also looks like you cant fit power steering. It's ALOT of work to add twins in our car. I'm over a year into this build, on and off and just finshed all the plumbing. Banks is nice too, easier to install, but you have to make the downtubes and wastegats tube. I can't wait.
Mine.... https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159547

Don't forget over a grand for a fuel system.
Brian Wolfe from Wrenchrat Inc. -

Just clearing up a few little things here really quick. Thanks for checking out our twin turbo system, we really appreciate it! In my opinion our system is the most complete and best looking twin turbo system for the money, we priced this system for the average hot-rod builder like ourselves.

-The Wrenchrat 'stage-1' system comes with no-name wastegates and blow-off valve. They can be upgraded to Tial's.

-The Wrenchrat 'stage-2' system comes with Tial wastegates and blow-off valve standard.

-March's driver side low-mount P/S setup will fit and our custom alternator bracket is included in the kit.

-Our turbo headers, turbo's, downpipes, wastegate and wastegate downpipes come pre-assembled so you drop each side down into the engine bay like you would a header. We have also bolted the whole twin turbo system onto the engine outside of the car and dropped it right into a '67 Chevelle with no problem.

-Yes, you can remove the valve covers...

Let me know if you guys have any further questions.

Thanks,
Brian Wolfe
Wrenchrat Inc.
www.wrenchrat.com
[email protected]
(509)462-2934
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Very nice setup, but does that fit under a stock 2" cowl hood on a first gen. I'm building a twin and the hat HAS to be turned. I couldn't use the CSU hat. I went with the EV because of hood clearance and had to turn it. Also does the drivers side turbo hit the fender? Do you have any pics of the system installed in a car? Here's some pics of my hat and there was no way it would fit straight to the merge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hat1.JPG
Views:	963
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	13942   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.JPG
Views:	1214
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	13944  
Attached Images

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 09:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
Very nice setup, but does that fit under a stock 2" cowl hood on a first gen. I'm building a twin and the hat HAS to be turned. I couldn't use the CSU hat. I went with the EV because of hood clearance and had to turn it. Also does the drivers side turbo hit the fender? Do you have any pics of the system installed in a car? Here's some pics of my hat and there was no way it would fit straight to the merge.
good looking kit he has, but I'm pretty sure it will not clear the stock cowl hood due to the hat being up inside the cowl hole a bit, and you won't get the inlet pipes in. An aftermarket fiberglass hood without the inner structure that the steel hoods have may work.

Jody

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

That kit was designed for Chevelles right?

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 08:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
good looking kit he has, but I'm pretty sure it will not clear the stock cowl hood due to the hat being up inside the cowl hole a bit, and you won't get the inlet pipes in. An aftermarket fiberglass hood without the inner structure that the steel hoods have may work.

Jody
Yea thats what I was thinking. An aftermarket hood will work. If my hood wasn't original I would have cut mine and it would have fit. The turbos look low too. Really looks like it will hit the fender.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

http://nelsonracingengines.com/

you could spend all day looking at turbo stuff on Tom Nelson's site.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode