Rate of oil filtration??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Rate of oil filtration???

This maybe a dumb question ...but what is the rate of oil filtration in a average, say a small block, not modified to the heavens?? is there a math to it?? and does it affect horsepower?? either good or bad?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
William

Re: Rate of oil filtration???

Smokey Yunick makes brief mention of it in his book; something like 90% of the oil is filtered 80% of the time. The by-pass would have to be monitored and there is no simple way to do it.

Another contamination he mentions is air. All the churning in the pump puts quite a bit in the oil. Street cars can live with it; Indy cars and such must have air-oil separators.

William

CRG
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 10, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

I guess if you wanted to get really scientific about it, you would take an oil pump, immerse it in a known quantity of oil, spin it at a given rpm and time it to see how long it takes to empty the vessel.

Make sure the discharge goes into another container!!!!

alan

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
William

All that does is establish the flow rate at a given rpm. Oil is no longer filtered when the pressure is high enough to open the bypass. For a street car that is mostly cold start up during winter months. No bypass and the filter blows. Oil pressure rises with rpm so the bypass probably cycles during high rpm operation of a racing engine.

William

CRG
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Thats why EVERY engine I build now had a bypass eliminator,and uses a low restriction racing filter.No more 20W50 either.SAE30 or 15W40 max.Imagine that the time your engine is mostly likly to be getting unfiltered oil si when it is being cold started,and any crap that iis in the oil pan{and there always is} is laying right next to the pickup tube waiting to be crammed in between the first journal and bearing it can find.I would rather have 0% 20 micron particles all the time then 80% fewer 2 micron particles most of the time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 04:24 PM
Team Member

Yes, There is a math and science to both the filter design, and the system design. The filters can be tested for pressure drop at various flow rates,dirt holding capacity at various flow, filtration efficiency based upon either single or multi pass testing and others.

Removing the bypass valve changes the system design, and may not be the best for your operating conditions. you need to evaluate your needs to design the system to match them. oil pump flow rates, bearing clearances, engine speed, oil pump relief valve, and filter relief valve and filter characteristics all impact the system design.

Horsepower is used to pump the oil. the higher the pressure and flow the more horsepower required.

also remember, the oil in the engine is pumped through the filter every minute or so. over a short time, it will be pretty clean.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

I guess my point was that I prefer all my oil to be filtered even if not to the finest particles,rather then have unfiltered oil spreading filth around in my engine during startup.I abuse the heck out of everything I drive and 1000 miles is a good life expetancy for many of my engines,so finding chunks of stuff in the oil is the norm.Having those chunks getting onto the crank journals makes a bad situation worse.Racing filters dont filter out the fine particles,but have very low restriction so bypass can be eliminated.I used to run multiple remote filters,but was never happy with all the plumbing involved in setting them up.Basically I build engines for guys who take my recommended maximum nitrous and rpm limits as a good baseline starting point,so stuff leaves my shop on a trailer and comes back to me in buckets.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 10:52 AM
Retired
Jim

A by-pass add on oil filter will do the job of fine filtering when used along side the standard oil filters. This keeps the filtration down into single digit micron levels. An added insurance of sorts for reducing air born ingested dirt.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode