What reliable oil pump to use on my street use SBC 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question What reliable oil pump to use on my street use SBC 350

I know that Melling has issues with some of their oil pumps? Is there a reliable oil pump that won't fall apart (standard volume/pressure) with a reliable oil pickup that won't come loose, or fall out ?

I have a rebuilt SBC 350, w/over .040 replacement dish pistons & installed an early 70 LT-1 Mech Cam (3972178).

I know that Melling makes oil pumps for Morosco, Seal Power; Summit and others. I don't want a pump that's going to fail due to a weak housing, or lousy oil pickup, that loosens up, or falls out due to vibrations of the engine!

Appreciate and thanks for all responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 12:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: What reliable oil pump to use on my street use SBC 350

issues with mellings pumps have been cleared up a few years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 12:41 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

oem pumps never seem to fail.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 12:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

10 percent by hi vol. melling part number is 10552 .. (***bolt on pick up**),bigger gears , anti cavitational chamber ,(dowled)bypass, valve is allen screwed in .....melling is the way to go heres the part numbers for you..
7 inch is #12557
7.5 is #12558
8 inch is #12559(length of pick up tubes)..

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 04:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Any Mellings Select series. The one mentioned above , 10552 is one of those pumps.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 05:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: What reliable oil pump to use on my street use SBC 350

I use the Melling (Select) #10554 for almost all street rebuilds - both stock and performance.
For performance usually the only mod I do is to install the "white" GM spring to increase upper end pressure @10lbs.
There is no reason to increase the volume in a street driven small block and lots of reasons NOT to
This same pump is sold under many companies names as their "Performance" unit

This pump has the high strength base and will not crack at the mounting like the weaker stock and M55 types.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Melling Oil Pump M55 vs 10554 mount section.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	13744
Stock ... #10554

Also weld the pickup (usually stock GM) to the pump for added protection.
To get the location correct;
* remove the stock pressure spring from the pump
* mount the pump to block
* lightly insert pick-up into pump, with it slightly angled away from block, with a few slight taps - just to hold it
* set pan on block rail, without a gasket so that it contacts the pick-up and push down on pan to set pick-up to pan depth
* remove pan and tap the pick-up down an additional @1/4" from position pan pushed it to
* finish tapping/driving the pick-up into the pump to fully seat it against pump
* unbolt the pump cover (4 bolts) and remove
* weld/braze the pick-up to the cover (off the pump) [note: I use my MIG and a small weld to do this - I used to braze, but think it builds more heat in the part than the MIG weld does from a test with a IR Heat-gun - so I weld only now.]
* cool the assembly
* install the original or the new 'white' GM pressure spring
* reassembly cover to pump and finish build

hope this helps;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
I use the Melling (Select) #10554 for almost all street rebuilds - both stock and performance.
For performance usually the only mod I do is to install the "white" GM spring to increase upper end pressure @10lbs.
There is no reason to increase the volume in a street driven small block and lots of reasons NOT to

This pump has the high strength base and will not crack at the mounting like the weaker stock and M55 types.
Attachment 13744
Stock ... #10554

* lightly insert pick-up into pump, with it slightly angled away from block, with a few slight taps - just to hold it
* set pan on block rail, without a gasket so that it contacts the pick-up and push down on pan to set pick-up to pan depth
* remove pan and tap the pick-up down an additional @1/4" from position pan pushed it to
* finish tapping/driving the pick-up into the pump to fully seat it against pump
* weld/braze the pick-up to the cover (off the pump) [note: I use my MIG and a small weld to do this - I used to braze, but think it builds more heat in the part than the MIG weld does from a test with a IR Heat-gun - so I weld only now.]
* cool the assembly

hope this helps;
John
John what Melling pickup part number oil pickup would you use with the Melling #10554
pump. You mentioned a stock GM pickup; wouldn't have a part number by chance.

Thanks to all for the information!

John Lighthart
Charleston,SC
1/15/2010
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlighthart View Post
... what Melling pickup part number oil pickup would you use with the Melling #10554 pump?
... You mentioned a stock GM pickup; wouldn't have a part number by chance.

John Lighthart
Charleston,SC
1/15/2010
The Melling number for the stock style pick-up is #155 S(as in 'S'am )
You can order that right along with the pump, which is what I usually do, from all the major speed shops.

I don't have the GM number at work, but can look it up later if you need.
Almost any good parts store or GM dealer can get one for you under there system number.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post

Attachment 13744
Stock ... #10554

* cool the assembly

hope this helps;
John
Sound advice, listen to this.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
Sound advice, listen to this.
John;

One last question. Does the pump flange, where it bolts to the oil port on the block, require a gasket? If not should I use some type of sealer and thread lock on the fastner bolts (even though they will be torqued). After all the articles and forums about oil pump failures that I have read, I would like to get it right before self inflicted damage!

Thanks;
John L.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 11:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: What reliable oil pump to use on my street use SBC 350

No
There was a company that included a gasket for that location in their overhaul kits years ago ... they had hundreds (maybe more) of claims of engine failures and damages
The pump would 'walk' on the gasket and squeeze it out over time and then the bolt would continue to loosen until the pump either fell-off or the drive coupling broke ... then no oil pressure

Just clean both mating surfaces well and be sure there are no burrs or dings from handling on the machined interfaces and install the pump to main saddle dry.
Be sure to install the distributor drive shaft and coupling before mounting pump!
Lube the bolt with a slight amount of light oil and torque to recommended setting - do this in two(2) pulls; 1st @40~45ftlb and 2nd to final 60~65ftlb.

You're good for another 100k ... or until you need more power (insert 'Tim Allen' sounds here)

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 09:35 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

The Select Series Mellings 10554 would be a perfect pump. But if you want to use the bolt on pickup you have no choice but to look at the high volume Select Series Pumps. I agree there is no reason to ever use a high volume pump on a street/strip SBC, but I opted for the 10552 simply to get the bolt on pickup. It's only 10% high volume, so not a big deal, the 2 Select Series pumps with bolt on pickups are 25%, didn't want that.

Also a lot of guys have had OEM style pumps break, some have posted about it here. Those are since the weaker casting that came out in the 90s at least. Mellings fix for performance pumps was the introduction of the Select Series. Two years ago Mellings told me directly that their OEM style pumps still aren't acceptable for any performance build, they persuaded me to purchase the Select Series.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 10, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Haven't had a Mellings HV pump standard pump fail ever - not to say they won't, but I've used them for 30 years without a single problem. I would speculate that many of the failures are from poor installation procedures like not torquing the bolt to specs or banging on a press fit pick-up into the pump while the pump is installed on the rear main which repeatedly bangs the pump neck till weakens and sets it up for early failure.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 01:09 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
Haven't had a Mellings HV pump standard pump fail ever - not to say they won't, but I've used them for 30 years without a single problem. I would speculate that many of the failures are from poor installation procedures like not torquing the bolt to specs or banging on a press fit pick-up into the pump while the pump is installed on the rear main which repeatedly bangs the pump neck till weakens and sets it up for early failure.
Steve I've never broken one either, but when Mellings tech rep says don't use our standard M55 pump in it's current light casting, that's all I had to hear. Moroso also won't response to questions regarding did they continue to use the weaker casting in their blue print series pump. A couple people have chimed in that have had the weaker casting M55 break in their drag cars. In these cases the guys were running solid motor mounts, sticky tires and launching their cars hard, ect. Severe duty. Contributing factors, probably, but who knows for sure what they did to their pumps at install like you stated.

The last 355 I bought and tore down the pick up literally fell out of the pump when the oil pan came off. It was that loose a fit. I always brazed mine on, but now there is no need to if I use a Select Series with a bolt on pick up. For a few dollars more the Select Series Mellings pumps are a huge improvement, steel gears, pinned gears, dowel locators in the pump covers, mag phosphate coated, heavy casting, hydrostatic balanced, bolt on pick up tubes just to mention a few improvements.

I used to run the M55 also, most of us did, but back before they weakened the casting. The M55 you ran 30 or even 15 years ago is a different pump from the M55 they build today. Mellings did us a disservice by continuing to carry the same part number so guys who used to run a hi-perf M55 pump back in the 70s and 80s think the M55 today is the same quality pump. It's not. Mellings say's don't use it for performance use. There are tens of thousands of them in use today and only a handful may fail, but there are a lot of other improvements in the Select Series that will make you not even consider the M55 if you take a careful look at them.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks for the info - now I have something else to worry about with my new build! I thought for sure I read on the mellings web page not to use the select pumps for street application which is what mine will be primarily so IO went with the M55. When I put the new pick up on mine it took quite a few blows to get it seated fully with the special pick up install tool from Summit. Its not coming off for sure- and the pick up is bolted on to 1 of the pump bottom bolts for extra assurance,(that bolt's red locktighted).

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode