427 cam up grade - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 10, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Dwight Nelson

427 cam up grade

Hi everyone new to site been watching for awhile. So here is my question i have a 69 rs/ss with a 454 in it with a 427 crank wanting to up grade my cam from a comp 284/296 574/578. Its great off the line but is lacking on top end . I'm want more top end wanting to up grade to a solid maybe with about 630 lift.Which way do u think i could go that would help me go faster. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Dana

Re: 427 cam up grade

Welcome Dwight. You are probably going to have to give us some more info on your engine. Do you want just change the cam, or will you be going thru the entire engine?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Yes, as stated, need more info on the motor.
Heads, Intake and carb, Compression also, whats the part # on the current cam, or full specs?

1967 RS/SS 396 4 Speed (All Stock)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Journey; Jan 16th, 10 at 10:21 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Dwight Nelson

Thanks for the response i am going to change the cam and i will probaly have to upgrade the converter and all the other things that go along with the cam. I have a 454 block with a 427 crank with a bore of .60 with brodix alumi heads with srp pistons i am told that it was to make about 450-475 hp . I was wanting to bring it up to about 550. Just wondering what i would have to do. Thanks Guys
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Really need to know what the compression ratio is, this is determined by piston, head gasket thickness, piston in the hole, head chamber size in cc's.
What are you going to do with the car, street, street/strip, strip.
100hp is a big gain for just a cam, you will probably be looking at a solid roller.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Dwight Nelson

my compression ratio is 11.1. thanks for the info. 50 more hp would be great also. Trying to run street and strip, and play with some of the corvette's and viper's that think they own the streets. Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

11:1 is a great ratio, you can build a lot of power and aren't very limited in selecting supporting mods. just gonna throw this one out there http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL11-772-8/
skip had a pretty strong running 427 before the 496, maybe he could chime in on his old cam specs, I don't remember if it was a roller or not, but I would highly suggest a roller, especially a solid.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Dwight Nelson

Thank u ace's 68 i have a buddy that has a 434 with a comp cam with about the same lift and he has great power and good street manners that is what made me want to change my set up. i currently running a flat tappet with 574 lift in that range it gives me great starting power but not much on top end. By the way i have a holley 830 4150 series. Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Dwight Nelson

Ok guys here is the plan as of now removed the heads yesterday and will take them down to brodix and have them flowed and let them tell me the best cam to use in order to get the most performance out of them. I really thank u for all your info. it was very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode