Power Valve - correct size? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Dan

Power Valve - correct size?

I have a '67 Camaro with a 350 that pulls 19" of vacum at idle. I'm running a Holley 670 Street Avenger carb. What is the correct power valve size pulling this much vacum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Power Valve - correct size?

I would guess you have an 8.5 or 10" pv in there now. PV is needed when you are demanding more fuel or power and does just that, opens up at a lower vac setting, its basically fuel transition between the idle circuits and main circuits. You could pull off front bowls and remove metering block to check. Be sure to have a set of gaskets , just in case you tear the orginals. You may luck out and you carb may have those non-stick gaskets.
Rule of thumb is generally to run a PV with a setting, 2"hg lower than idle. Sounds like you have a stock set up so you are a long way from the PV opening point.

Cam?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech

This is one of the few true articles I've seen about a power valve...http://community-2.webtv.net/MATTGRU/pv/ Your vacuum at idle has absolutely nothing to do with the power valve. You must drive the car with a vacuum gage and find out what the motor wants and when it wants it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 10:25 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Are you having driving issues ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Dan

I'm in the process of tuning the carb. It currently has a 6.5 power valve and I know with 19" vacum that that must be to small. I don't want to tune around an incorrect power valve size....meaning I don't want to increase the shooter and/or main jets because of a bog or hesitation or other condition when the condition may actually be caused by the power valve being to small.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

The number on a power valve does not determine size, it is the inches of vac. that it opens at as vac. in the intake drops under accelleration. I have always used the manifold vac. at idle spec. divided by 2 to determine the proper power valve.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 10, 11:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

To add to what Dan said, 25, 35, 45 65, 85" hg range power valves do not measure fuel,l they measure vacumn and they open main fuel circuits on vac signals that comes from the engine to in turn open the pv to allow more fuel to pass.
Now, if your main jets are too small, then you increase them, not the power valve. The 19'' vacumn you are reading has nothing to do with the pv at idle. You need to install a temp vac gauge and long hose into the cabin of vehicle and drive the car, You need to monitor it and see what the vac is , when ever , with what ever problem you are having. This will tell you a lot.

With this much vacumn, I am wondering where your inital and total timing is .

Your stumble could also be linked to vacumn secondary opening as well as accel pump shot, linkage and pump cam. I think the new avenger carbs have the adjustable vac diaphram that can allow early or late opening.

Also, as Doug asked, what problems are you having? Also, read this , maybe it will help . http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...wer_valves.pdf

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zdld17; Jan 16th, 10 at 11:57 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Are you checking this with the car in gear at idle or in park?Is it possible you have a vacumn leak somewhere?

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
This is one of the few true articles I've seen about a power valve...http://community-2.webtv.net/MATTGRU/pv/ Your vacuum at idle has absolutely nothing to do with the power valve. You must drive the car with a vacuum gage and find out what the motor wants and when it wants it.
I am behind markw^ 110%.
I have externally referanced power valves that allow me to dictate vacuum at idle with a hand held vacuum pump.I can tell you that opening and closing a power valve has no affect on my wide band a/f meter that responds in synch to even the slightest adjustments made to my curb idle mixture screws.
Forget about pv sizing on the street unless you have an in car vacuum gauge that you monitor while transitioning thru the carb ckts.
Fwiw..my pv opening points are higher than my at idle vac #,s.Who cares if their open at that point.The added head pressure in the main well with an open power valve has a tiny effect on the idle feed restrictor if any.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode