Fuel Pump Electric vs Mechanical - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Fuel Pump Electric vs Mechanical

My engine is a 350 bored and stroked to a 383. It has a Holley 670 street avenger carb. Right now I have a good opportunity to replace my mechanical pump to an electric pump.

What are the pros and cons of both and what brand/model should I go with?

The fuel pump thatís on it now has had some problems so it will be getting replaced anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 08:46 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Fuel Pump Electric vs Mechanical

I have and like Aeromotive.

No real problems going to electric,run a relay,wire,I recommend an on/off switch too. Electric pumps like to push rather than pull and need to be fed from a line low on the tank.

I have my on/off switch hidden but easy to get to and wired into the ignition so when I turn the key it comes on. Now if I'm away from my car or have a fuel leak I just flip the switch off

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Thanks Doug! The on/off switch is interesting and a good idea.

If teh electric pump is rinning and the engine is not, will that flood the engine?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 10, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

As long as it is regulated down to under 8-9# at the carb you should not have a problem. Most I know run with 6-7# with a Holley carb at WOT, I think Edlebrock carbs might be 5.5# max.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 03:41 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Mine doesn't... but why run the pump with the car off unless for testing ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 04:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Cheaper to run a man. Fuel pump..what kind of driving are you going to be doing with the car?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Doug- I normally wouldnt run the pump with the engine off except for testing. Just wondering since my wife may drive it some, I want to make sure I know all teh ins and outs of having an electric pump. I was thinking if key was on for the radio or something like that.

I will be driving it mostly around town with an occasional trip to the track (drag/road course) just for fun and to see what it will do. Mostly just average driving/cruising.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 09:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

A mechanical pump will be cheaper ,simpler, and quieter and supply you with all the fuel youll ever need in that application.

69 SS396 fathom green N/A525 833chrysler 4spd 3550# stock suspension 10.11/137mph
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 10:50 AM
Banned
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzipper396 View Post
A mechanical pump will be cheaper ,simpler, and quieter and supply you with all the fuel youll ever need in that application.
X's 2. My Holley mech pump and stock 3/8 fuel line is more than adequate and supports my engine fine. See sig line.

Why add more stuff when it's not need/cost when its not needed?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

If your engine is naturally aspirated and would be supported sufficiently by a mech. pump then I personally prefer that route. Less to go wrong with the mech. pump. Also - biggest reason is I can't stand the noise/buzz of the elec. pump.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
george

[QUOTE=68RS-SS;1363259]If your engine is naturally aspirated and would be supported sufficiently by a mech. pump then I personally prefer that route.

x2^.The mechanical is far more reliable than an electric motor that can short out with no warning signs prior to failure.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Shameless plug.....

I've got a good one that is supposed to be able to support up to 500hp with all the fixin's in the classifieds right now.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171824

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 10, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

while I too prefer a mechanical pump my late model block was not drilled for the fuel pump shaft so I had to go electric.

Things I learned the hard way.

1. Install a fuel shut off valve before the fuel pump. Allows you to stop fuel from siphoning when you change/clean the filter. I also use as part of my theft deterrent as you can't get too far with just the fuel in the bowls and lines.
2. Install a good quality high volume/flow fuel filter right after the pump. I went with a Fram HPG1.
3. Install another fuel shut off in the engine compartment before the pressure regulator. This allows you to pull the carb and again not have fuel siphon everywhere.
4. Put a on/off switch in the 12v hot leading to the relay. This allows you to have the key "on" for other reasons without having the fuel pump running.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode