Which Flowmasters to get?!?!?! SO CONFUSING! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Alan

Which Flowmasters to get?!?!?! SO CONFUSING!

Ok... here it is. I have a 1967 Camaro RS Convertible with a 350 putting out about 330hp. Putting on Hedman Headers with a 2.5in Exhaust. Now... What series Flowmasters should I get. I want a aggressive rumble at idle but sound clean at higher rpm's. I have noticed the 40, Super 40, and Delta 40 series... HELP!

Im sure there is a thread already on this but couldnt find one that could fit my question. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 01:00 AM
Tech Team

Re: Which Flowmasters to get?!?!?! SO CONFUSING!

flowmasters are restrictive. get magnaflows
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 03:50 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Most of us with flowmasters probably run the 40 series, that is pretty much the sound you are probably looking for and hear at most shows.
40 series are good, loud, rumbly, they can get old on long trips.
I really like the super 40 series, if I picked flowmaster again, i'd buy those.
I think the standard 40 series are "delta flow"

Spintech is another exhaust you may want to look into, they sound great on big cammed, high hp motors, and on ls motors, search around on youtube and find what your looking for.
Sure flowmaster may be restrictive, but they aren't robbing you of "tons" of hp, you probably wouldn't know (feel) the difference by switching to a better flowing design, though they are out there, better flow generally means louder. With 40 series, those "restrictive" mufflers don't stop me from getting zero traction with a high strung 327.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 04:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Super 40 series 2 chamber

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

I have super 40's on my 67. Had Magnaflows-too raspy. Had 40 series delta flows-sounded like a Mustang. The Super 40's are not too loud just crusing, but sound pretty good at WOT. Going down the highway at 70 mph and just right around 3000 rpm, the wind noise with the windows down is louder that the exhaust. Windows up, no problem having a conversation.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I just put the flowmaster 40s on my 67 with a 350, of course it is all a matter of taste, I wanted a throaty sound that would not be too loud inside. My car sits low ( pro touring setup ) so the 50s were not going to work, too big. The flowmaster website is somewhat misleading in my opinion, the 40s sound great, nice deap tone and not loud at all in the compartment, they are a pleasure at 50+ MPH where I drive alot given I live in a rural area, you can barely hear them at all, when I get in town they sound just perfect and I often keep the radio off and the windows down just to hear them.. I highly recommend the flowmaster 40, by the way, I upgraded from the stock transverse mount and WHOA,,, what a huge difference in HP, the car was significantly faster than before so I am VERY HAPPY with the 40s... good luck
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 05:19 PM
Guess

Gary... any extra sound proofing on the interior at all?

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 06:35 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

FlowMaster 40's here and yes on a long ride they can get old.... but when you blip the throttle as you're passing someone and they're on the phone,not paying attention,or "another brand"... you get the look and it's all worth it

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

Had flowmaster 40 series--just too loud--no appreciable rumble, just loud for the sake of loud...recently put on a new system--Pypes street pro with 2.5/headers/"X" pipe...could not be happier...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Alan

Thanks for all the replies... I still havent made up my mind yet! Haha... But I am leaning towards the 40's. Only because its not a every day driver or long distance. Maybe once a week on a weekend or somthing. Just a for fun car! Any one have any videos of there Camaros?
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 07:15 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

try this --> <--it still works even though it doesn't look like it.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
try this --> <--it still works even though it doesn't look like it.
That sounds great! Thanks. How much compression do you have... Sounds like... Random guess 11:1?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 07:32 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Flowmasters aren't the greatest when it comes to holding up/rusting issues, in fact no better than the cheaper $25-40 mufflers from other brands. Most other performance brands have their own design of mufflers that all sound a bit different from one and other.

Honestly, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference between a real flow and one of the cheap knockoffs that can be had on ebay (flowsound) or summit (Summit Race Muffler). You can also get a "flowmaster" type muffler from Thrush that is done in full stainless steel under the "Thrush Stainless Welded Muffler" guise for the same price as a mild-steel flowmaster. If you are going to spend the money on one, I'd opt for the stainless Thrush, but otherwise get the cheapies.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I forgot I had this video.
11:1 327 comp 286H one size larger than the other vid posted, 2 chamber 40 series.
This was taken with a crappy camera, and the idle was a tad high since at the time the vacuum canister on the motor wasn't set up right.
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...cture183-1.flv

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
I forgot I had this video.
11:1 327 comp 286H one size larger than the other vid posted, 2 chamber 40 series.
This was taken with a crappy camera, and the idle was a tad high since at the time the vacuum canister on the motor wasn't set up right.
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...cture183-1.flv
That sounds good. How much horsepower are you putting out? X-Pipe? What size tubing?

Also another question... Should I go with the X-Pipe or the H-Pipe... And why? What is the difference? Any sound difference? Performance difference?

Last edited by 1967camaroRS; Jan 19th, 10 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode