Rebuild or Crate? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
JASON

Rebuild or Crate?

Hey guys I'm looking a taking out my 327 in my 68 vert and replacing it with another motor. Looking at rebuilding a 350 or is it cheaper to go with a crate motor? I already have a set of redone vortec heads, rockers and intake that I was going to put on my 327 but I think I would like another engine. Would like something around 350 HP that is good on the street as the car will most likely not see the strip just looking for a little more fun with the right foot. I don't have another motor yet just mulling over my options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 08:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: Rebuild or Crate?

If you know how to rebuild it, then do it yourself. If you cant rebuild it, or dont trust yourself, buy a crate.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Harleys right if you can do it, knock yourself out build your own the way you want, but if you screw up there's no warranty on lack of knowledge, and a crate build has a warranty, if you want the best of both worlds, get a long block crate add your own, intake, carb, water pump, distributor, fuel pump, pulley set up, headers drop it in they did all the hard work and you made it yours

Rodney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

You want a 350hp motor or 350 at the wheels?
If you have 350 at the crank, your going to have around 280-290 at the wheels, it would still be fun, another question is how much money are you willing to spend? If you could get the most hp for your buck, would you do it? Say you had a 4k budget, would you still want 350hp or if you could do it on the budget, would you go for a higher number in the 400's?
I say build it, or have someone help you build it.
Do you want to stick with 327 cubes, or do you want something larger?
A 327 can be a lot of fun, if built right, i'd say if you wanted to build it, a 383 is a good displacement for a first build, bigger cubes, and no different than building you run of the mill 350...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 10, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

A gm crate 350 with 285 hp is 1500.00 ..sales all over the net!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 10, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
JASON

I have been looking at the GM HO 350 base engine and the 290hp crate engines. I really only need a short block because of the vortec top end that I already have. I have thought about building one myself but I have never done a full build myself. I'm a machinist by trade and have most of the tools to do it but working 7 days a week,2 children and a wife makes for not alot of time for it. I haven't decided on how much money to spend yet just started to look around the net and stuff. I'm checking with a couple of local shops about prices on the machine work. Just wanted some info on what was the best value for my dollar. Just looking to ad a little more fun factor to a a saturday night cruise to the Ice cream store or the cruise to the beach at lake michigan.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 10, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Just an FYI but a short block usually comes without a cam unless you can get a builder to install one. Carolina Machine has a 350hp 350ci long block for just under $2k with up to five year 100k warranty available. However, I'd just as soon spend a bit more to get something with a warranty that could be handled locally.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

We offer several different options, let me know if I can be of help.

Brandon

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES

Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

This is a setup, seed post by the #1 Ebay Seller, a post will be coming soon, watch.....
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

Last edited by ace's68; Jan 21st, 10 at 04:33 PM. Reason: nevermind
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
JASON

I am meeting with a local machine shop/engine builder on saturday and going over some options with him. He said he will warrenty the engine if he check my heads out and does the assembly himself. Said he has a couple of short blocks that are already ready.
I just have to pick out what I want. So it sounds like a good B'day weekend for me.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASON2478 View Post
I am meeting with a local machine shop/engine builder on saturday and going over some options with him. He said he will warrenty the engine if he check my heads out and does the assembly himself. Said he has a couple of short blocks that are already ready.
I just have to pick out what I want. So it sounds like a good B'day weekend for me.
Good idea go local
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
JASON

My next thing is should I step up and go with a roller set up. They are still a little bit on the pricy side. Still trying to keep this at a reasonable dollor amount. Have a few other projects that need attention and money too!!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Yeah, you should get a roller.
If you get a 327" motor and a big enough cam, you will want a solid roller, or at least a solid flat tappet if you don't want to spend the extra $ on the roller.
You can do a roller that doesn't require the expensive retro fit rollers, like on OE roller motors from GM.
The lifters in my motor will occasionally pump up at or around 6,500rpm, though the motor is still pulling, I wish I would have gotten a solid, the cam was rated to at least 6,800rpm, not so!
With the vortec heads, you are some what limited in cam selection, especially lift.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 10, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
JASON

The vortecs that I have are rebuilt and are machined for .500 lift. The shop will set them up for what ever I want. To have them warrenty the motor he will have to set up the heads. I'll have them machined for better springs and anything else that he may suggest with what cam I go with. Just need to keep in mind the goal, first it was to upgrade my original 327 to now just get another short block. Would love to go with a roller but will have to decide how much to spend before it gets out of control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode