Engine frame mount position - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Engine frame mount position

Hi Guys, Im restoring a 68 coup 350 th400 (lhd) and having trouble getting my hooker extractors and engine in position. Ive taken the extractors off for now and moved the motor to where the air cleaner fits centered into the 2' cowl hood. Now the engine mounts and frame mounts dont line up approx 40-50mm.When i imported the car it was drivable and the motor was as far back against the firewall with approx 1/2 inch clearance from the dizzy electronic std size mallory. The hooker extractors didnt foul on anything and the back pipe has been knocked in so it wold not hit the lock nut on the underside of the steering box. It had a munchie 4 spd. Ive replaced the gearbox mount to a th400 and now with the motor in its new position the gearbox mount is to far forward off the crossmember to bolt up. Has anybody had these problems. Ive emailed hooker now holley with the part no of the extractors and they dont know. My car was an x drag car. Any help would be gratefull been nearly 3 years restoring and dying to drive it. Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 10:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: engine frame mount position

The air cleaner in my car is not centered on the cowl hood opening. This is how the frame mounts are supposed to go.

I've always had the frame mounts on the frame, the motor mounts on the engine, and then dropped the motor mounts over the frame mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130022.jpg
Views:	3525
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	13800  

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 11:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: engine frame mount position

Hi Dave,

If you have the original engine mounts in their correct positions I do not see any reason why this won't all work for you. Do you have a T400 cross member installed? It is sort of tubular and also bent to the rear of the car and the mount is set back from a standard position.
You are not trying to do anything outside of the square so having the correct/original parts installed is a good start.

Good luck!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Mike thanks for the reply. how far back to the firewall does your motor sit.and do you have problems with your extractors hitting the steering, dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: engine frame mount position

If you are using a Chevy TH-400 crossmember, they only made them for big blocks and the mounting pad is offset to the passenger side 1/2" and 3/4" forward from the small blocks mount location. A Pontiac Firebird crossmember is what you want. They have the mount on center. The aftermarket now has one listed for big blocks and the firebird piece for small blocks. The engine will not be perfectly on center. My '69 with 350 frame mounts is about 1/4" towards the passenger side.

The engine mounts should be about the same height. A big block has the drivers side mount about an inch taller. This will roll the engine to the passenger side approximately 1" as measured at the carb. stud.

Also note that the cut out opening for the cowl air cleaner is not on center ! It is offset for the big blocks.

Mike, your pictures are of 67-69 327/307 frame mounts or 67/68 302/350. The 302/350 for a '69 and big block mounts are different.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Jan 18th, 10 at 11:46 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 10, 11:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie68cam View Post
Mike thanks for the reply. how far back to the firewall does your motor sit.and do you have problems with your extractors hitting the steering, dave
My motor (SBC) sits far enough back that a large cap HEI distributor is a challenge. If an "extractor" is a header, there are lots of issues with steering box clearance with a number of header brands. Among others, the Dougs 368's seem to fit pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 10, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks boys, looks like we are getting somewhere. Ive got a chevy th400 c/member so i will have to measure to see which 1 it is. with my stock frame mounts and engine mounts my motor sits within half an inch away from a std size dizzy. i had a 4spd munchie when i imported the car and cant remember where it sat, but the headers (extractors) didnt hit anything the are hooker super comp and ive checked out the part no and they are supposed to fit my car. with the cowl hood what do you do if you want to ues the induction part if the motor sits behind the hole. and if you put a hi rise inlet manifold what happens then. thanks dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 10, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Engine frame mount position

Dave, Do you have the cowl induction air cleaner ? I do not have it, so my air cleaner sits up inside the cut out. Remember the cowl induction was designed to be used with the stock height intakes etc. If your intake is too high you may be able to cut down the outside ring of the cowl air cleaner, so it will fit. You may want to make one out of a cake pan.

What size are the header tubes on your Super Comp Headers ? The standard "competition headers" are 1 5/8" diameter, and usually will fit. Any size larger and you may have issues. The Dougs D368 are 1 3/4 tube, but they will contact the idler arm, if you do not have the stock size arm. (The Moog replacement will not clear !)

The distributor is close to the firewall, when you have a 302 or 350 with an 8" harmonic balancer. This is so the balancer will not contact the sway bar. I had to dent my firewall so an HEI would fit. The best solution is to use a small bodied distributor or to convert your points distributor to electronic with a kit from Pertronix or others.

Do not believe the "change your frame mounts." thing. You can't do it with an 8" balancer. (99% of the time or unless you have a Hotchkis style sway bar.)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Jan 19th, 10 at 08:21 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 10, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Engine frame mount position

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Dave, Do you have the cowl induction air cleaner ? I do not have it, so my air cleaner sits up inside the cut out. Remember the cowl induction was designed to be used with the stock height intakes etc. If your intake is too high you may be able to cut down the outside ring of the cowl air cleaner, so it will fit. You may want to make one out of a cake pan.
I'd try the cake pan before I cut up a factory (or repro) cowl induction air cleaner. Just remember that the carb intake will be offset to the rear of the cake pan.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Tom, Thanks for the reply, ive removed the subframe from the car with the engine and box remounted the frame and engine mounts and gearbox cross member. it looks like the th400 crossmember is the correct one if the mount is dead center between the subframe.ive also dented the extractors (headers) to miss the pitman arm and steering box bolt.now the air cleaner does it sit behind the cowl hole and the cake tin mounted forward will do the induction thing. thanks for all the info dave
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Engine frame mount position

These pictures are of a cake pan, that a fellow team Camaro member made. The idea is correct, although the offset of the air cleaner does not look correct. Make sure yours is centered (on a small block) and the cake pan is large enough to seal on the offset cut out in your hood.

Last edited by TJS69; Jan 24th, 10 at 10:27 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 12:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

And welcome Dave. How's the weather down there?
I was hoping not hear that you have Super Comps. My new ones, ceramic coated, are now on the garage floor. Life is good. Too many problems to list here. Check out my web site, photo #229 for a partial list. But they're for a BBC. And don't forget to turn the steering lock to lock when you think those damn headers fit. Mine hit. Of Course! Here's #229.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 03:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If your concerned about the clearance between your distributor and the firewall, you might want to check your body mounts and that the sub-frame is in line with the body. there are 3/8 inch or so holes both in the middle sub-frame mount and the body that needs to line up.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode