Team Camaro Tech banner

MSD 6A with manual trans.

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  67CamaroRS/SS 
#1 ·
I have swapped out my auto trans for a 5 speed manual, The MSD is a 6A not a 6AL. As I understand it mine is not rev limiting. Is it a big deal having a non rev limiting ignition with a manual trans?, Changing it out would be a real pain because its behind the instrument cluster and above the steering column.

#4 ·
I am running a 6A with a 4 speed and have never really been concerned about it.

I don't race or anything either, that may make a difference in your case if you are racing.

#9 ·
Let me get this straight,You just did a complete 5 spd conversion from an automatic but its too much of a pain to lie on your back and undo 4 screws and a couple of wires?There are alternatives to rev limiters you know.Vise grips on the fuel line,block of wood under the gas pedal,duct tape the air filter,swap a couple plug wires around.Those are all easy and they sure worked when i used to do them to my buddies winter rats when i was younger!

#10 ·
There is some good advice here for you. I made the same swap a few years ago. Part of the swap was the addition of a 6AL box with a 6K chip in it and....... no worries. My .02.....spend a few more $$$ install the 6AL unit and enjoy your third pedal. Good luck.

ZAPPER

#12 ·
You could be the best manual tranny driver in the world, but you can't control the tranny if it decides to let go or it doesn't go into gear for some reason during a pass at the track and the revs shoot upward of 9K. IMO, a rev limiter IS A MUST!!!!!!!!!! I don't race my car and I still have a rev limiter, always have, even when I had the PG in her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.