Small problem or BIG problem? Broken dip stick, the one on the car - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

Small problem or BIG problem? Broken dip stick, the one on the car

guys, my dipstick holder Stock 350 pressed in, has broken off at the block. Any suggestions on how to get the remainder of the pipe out of the block without sending shards of metal into the oil pan? I hear that is not good for the engine so I am hoping someone has a trick to get that piece out of the block cleanly???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Small problem or BIG problem? broken dip stick, the one on the ca

I would use a reverse out drill bit , do it by hand, to bite on what is left of the tube and it should just bite on and pull out..

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Small problem or BIG problem? broken dip stick, the one on the ca

The piece is not threaded in, it is just pressed in. What rotation of the drill bit, should not matter. Use an E-Z out (extractor) should be all you need. Or is that what a reverse out bit is supposed to be ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 02:16 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Before trying a drill bit. Try a small screwdriver and hammer to see if you can pry it away from the block some and grab it with a pair of needle nose vice grips to pull/tap out ?

Drill bit is sure to send shavings into the pan.. if you have to go that route, coat the bit with grease (to catch shavings).

Or ??? just thinking ??? maybe coat a tap with grease (to catch shavings) tap the tube, screw in a bolt, and use a slide hammer ? Remember the tubing is thin.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

What about a piece of rod with a small 90* bend? Insert it, hook the bottom, grab it with a pair of vice grips and then tap the assembly out with a hammer? Make sure the rod isn't brittle, you don't want the bent part to break off into the oil pan.

alan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

I think that the tubing is so thin that anything you put into it that puts pressure on it from the inside will just apply that presure to the block and not really help. Also anytihng that might grab hold of the inner wall only will need to cut the metal and you are risking shavings. I like Dougs idea, if there is any lip left try that. Of course you also risk pushing it further into the block. Still I like the idea of pinching the wall of the tubing with a needle nose vise grips or something rather than just trying to grab it on the inside alone. Of course you can always drop the pan and push it out from the bottom

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Have done this a couple times over the yrs..in car and on a short block
put a stong magnet on the block just below the hole
use a small flat screw driver...the onces jused for wires in a connection block...you will smash the handle
tap it in till u manage to bend the end of the broken tube, once that is bent you can start to tap it down between the block and the broken tube....do not wack it, you could crack the cast block.
The intention is to colaspe the broken tube inwards, reducing the overall diameter then hook it out
Or what can happen is you just end up tapping it in a little deeper...deep enough for the new tube to fit in behind...or shorten the new tube a little.

The magnet...bet you forgot about that
use a good magnisted screw driver, slip it down to just below the magnet stuck to the block...pull the 'block magnet off and slowly pull the screw driver out, and pick up anything that should not be in there.
If anything else does mange to drop in the sump, change the oil and flush the sump.
Then if anything still remains, put new oil in, the pump will pick it up, and it will get caught in the filter...change the filter.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

we just had this happen to us. use a tap just a little bigger than the dipstick hole. Twist in the tap and it will "bite" the edge of the d/s tube. you will be able to turn the tube when the tap gets kinda bound up and the whole tube will spin. when that happens you can put a pair if vicegrips on the tap and pull it out.

Scott

69 RS/SS X22 51-51 Dusk Blue coupe in resto......still.
69 X11 355 ci M22 3:73 12 bolt...current driver
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

I wouldnt sweat a few metal shavings in the oil pan.I had a problem with a broken start er bolt a few years back,I couldnt drill it with the kickout pan on the engine and I couldnt drop the pan with the engine in the car.I unbolted the pan,moved iit as far aside as I could,stuffed rags where ever I could and attempted to drill out the broken bolt.Some shavings got into the pan,but not many.I drained and filled the oil,and I always have a handful of magnets stuck to the outside of the pan away from the oil pump pickup.

But if you had one of the no bypass oiling systems that I now use there would be no worry since you could pour sand into the crankcase and not much would happen except you might clog the filter.

My choice for removing the broken piece is bang a screwdriver along side it,crush in in and grab it with a pair of needle nose.

As for that started bolt,the EZ out broke and I ended up buying a racing started that used the other bolt hole in the block.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 10, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech
Dario

Re: Small problem or BIG problem? Broken dip stick, the one on the ca

This just happened to me about a month ago... but since I haven't driven the car yet I haven't sweated it yet but I've been giving it some thought. The tap idea sounds good actually I'll probably try that first, but what I had thought about was removing the oil pan, using a small punch or brass drift and a light hammer, inserting the drift throught the hole from inside the pan area and tapping it out the way it came in. This way i can clean out the hole afterwards and I don't run the risk of things falling into the engine. All it should cost is the price of a new oil pan gasket and an oil change.

67 RS Camaro
Originally: Stock 327/210 w/AC, 2 Speed Powerglide & Deluxe Interior
Now: Hotchkis SB TVS, Cross-Drilled/Slotted Disc Brake Conversion, 327/330, Headers w/ Pypes Dual Street Pros & more to come.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 12:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I think Rich's idea is good. I was thinking use a small chisel or sharpen the tip of an old screwdriver and use it to drive down the edge and split it then pry it away from the wall and fish it out with needle nose. Actually a screwdriver would probably be better so you don't do what I would probably do which is drop it in the oil pan.

Also, stores with good plumbing sections should have a "pipe and nipple extractor" that is like an easy out. That you could use like Scott and wedge it then jerk it out with vice grips.

Once you get it out, you might try one of those tubeless dipsticks. I have the Summit brand one and really like it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 04:05 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I'd use a screw driver or center punch to colapse the tube inward then grab it with needle nose pliers and work it out.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 11:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

I just went through this and we figured out a good solution...

1. Screw in a lag bolt. The one that fit had a 9/16 head.

2. Make a puller tool... We used a vice grip and replaced the set bolt with a piece of threaded rod in the back. Put a 6" piece of pipe over the rod and a nut on the end with a couple washers. (This way you can make a tool similar to a dent puller used in a body shop.)
3. Clamp the vice grip on the head of the lag bolt. And hold your hand on the 6" pipe against the vice grip.

4. Quickly slide your hand with the pipe up the rod until it strikes the nut at the back of the threaded rod. The impact with the nut will pull up on the broken piece of your tube in the block.

5. After a few pulls... This what it looks like when it comes out!

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Vince, Simple and cheap idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode