Air Fuel Ratio at light cruise - is it problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Air Fuel Ratio at light cruise - is it problem?

Under light cruising down the hiway my wideband gauge can get into the high 15s to mid-16:1 range. No pinging and all seems to be runnin fine but wondering if I need to make an adjustment. If so, what would I be looking at doing? Thinking this would require larger sized primary jets?

I live at high altitude and commonly drive in 5,000 - 7,000 ft above sea level terrain so did jet the carb down a few notches from stock so possibly too much. Engine is ZZ383 and tranny is 5spd. - I'm cruisn between 50 - 70 mph at very low 2k rpm when this scenario occurs - not pressin the pedal very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 01:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

Re: Air Fuel Ratio at light cruise - is it problem?

just waiting to see I have my air/fuel gauge on my ride and would like to see about basic settings also with my new heads, great question!

Rodney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 01:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

My stock QJ was pulling right around 15:1 with my LM-1 wideband on the highway at cruise and ran fine. I got it up as high as 18:1 as an experiment to see if my gas mileage would improve. It didn't, car ran hotter and surged. You may be fine where you are.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
Under light cruising down the hiway my wideband gauge can get into the high 15s to mid-16:1 range. No pinging and all seems to be runnin fine but wondering if I need to make an adjustment. If so, what would I be looking at doing? Thinking this would require larger sized primary jets?

I live at high altitude and commonly drive in 5,000 - 7,000 ft above sea level terrain so did jet the carb down a few notches from stock so possibly too much. Engine is ZZ383 and tranny is 5spd. - I'm cruisn between 50 - 70 mph at very low 2k rpm when this scenario occurs - not pressin the pedal very much.
About what I am pulling but at a 3500 ft level, been out your way to Clines corner , didn't have any issues.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 12:38 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

My Street Avenger ran pretty lean like that at very light throttle and didn't seem to have an issue. I put some wire in the low speed air bleeds to downsize them and it got the ratio down some.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode