How much warp is too much in a flexplate? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

How much warp is too much in a flexplate?

I have been working through a shake in my engine for about 2 months, replaced just about everything ON the engine, that left me with only the flexplate and Torque converter. I took off the converter this evening to find the flexplate bent (warped/ wobbles) about 1/16-1/8".... the shake ALMOST completely dissapeared with the converter removed. I am thinking that the warp in the flex was magnified by the weight of the torque converter, plan to buy a new flexplate, does that sound like the right move to you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: how much warp is too much in a flexplate?

Since you already have it apart that far and flexplates aren't terribly expensive, I say go for it. Could also be an out of balance converter. Describe "ALMOST"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

if the shake was on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most evident, it dropped from a 10 to a 1,, almost unnoticeable,, to the point at which I think I may just be imagining it due to the fact I saw the warped flex and can't get my mind off the issue, it has been driving me nuts and I want to solve the problem...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 10, 06:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Below is advice given by BowTie OD for inspecting...

Check it visually while the engine is running, if you can see visible for and aft movement, you
should check run out with a dial indicator. Factory tolerance is .030 total run out.
3. Cracks in the flex plate right around the crankshaft bolt circle are very common. Flex-plates are very cheap compared to
the time, effort and money required repairing the potential damage that will occur later if the flex-plate should fail or ruin
the transmissions front seal and bushing.

Clean 67 - 600hp / 579ft lb, 502
St Petersburg, FL
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 10, 10:58 AM
Bill

Re: How much warp is too much in a flexplate?

Gary,
If the shake went away when you unbolted the converter, then the converter is probably the issue. If the flexplate was out of balance, it would shake no matter what. To be honest with you, I have yet to see a stock type flexplate that is not warped at least 1/8" I have them bolted up on almost every single crankshaft I balance and believe me the only ones that are real true are ones from ATI, JW's "the wheel" and other thick flexplates. All of the stock ones have a little wobble in them. The ones with a weight welded to them (400 Chevy, SB Ford etc) are the worse. It does not hurt anything at all. If you think about it, once you bolt the converter up, it is straight.

You can try a flexplate if you want, but I would bet on the converter or something in the trans myself.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 10, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Gary, Bill's the pro.
Think about why they're called 'flex' plate. Their job is to transfer power. They rely on the converter for stability. Check your converter/transmission.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

I FOUND IT!!! after rebuilding the carb, changing the plugs, wires, distributor, then replacing the carb, the intake manifold, balancing the driveshaft, replacing the u-joints,, and ultimately seeing the warped flexplate,,, the shake went away after replacing the flexplate( mine was original from 1967 according to my trans guy), the torque converter, and the powerglide with a turbo 350... ya, the trans guys was quite a salesman...but the truth be told, I am thrilled, the car runs like a rocket, quick and smooth
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 RS style View Post
I FOUND IT!!! after rebuilding the carb, changing the plugs, wires, distributor, then replacing the carb, the intake manifold, balancing the driveshaft, replacing the u-joints,, and ultimately seeing the warped flexplate,,, the shake went away after replacing the flexplate( mine was original from 1967 according to my trans guy), the torque converter, and the powerglide with a turbo 350... ya, the trans guys was quite a salesman...but the truth be told, I am thrilled, the car runs like a rocket, quick and smooth
Glad you found it Gary. The good thing about finally figuring out a hard to find problem is once you do, after replacing/checking so many things, the cars always seems to run so good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode