Clearing up the PCV system, camaro 1968 327Ci. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 10, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
guillaumeb

Clearing up the PCV system, camaro 1968 327Ci.

Hi again!
I would like to clarify some points about the PCV system as i'm a little bit lost in that... I know it's quite simple but...
I need to install the complete system and i'll need to drill holes in my valve covers which doesn't have any holes in them... I don't want to ruin them so I prefer to ask before drilling

I heard that there was a PCV valve on one valve cover and on the other valve cover, there is only an elbow going to my air filter...
which one goes on which side?

Then, what's the point of installing a PVC on one side and then, on the other side, the oil vapors are going back to the air filter... would'nt it be easier to put 2 elbows (one on each cover) and hook them both the the air cleaner ?

On most site, they are selling a rubber PCV valve tube with an elbow molded in it, i know it's used to hook the PCV to the carb, but they are something like 35'' long... I'm wondering why it's so long??? I could wrap my carb around with that tube before hooking it to carb and might still have too long....

anyway, I may seem lost in that system but I really am...

I'd appreciate any help once again!
thanks a lot
g.b.

(excuse me for my distorted english sometime, i'm french canadian, )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 10, 02:04 PM
Matt

Re: Clearing up the PCV system, camaro 1968 327Ci.

The PCV valve operates as a simulated vacuum leak, drawing crankcase vapors into the intake manifold for combustion under idle and cruise conditions.

Generally, the PCV valve is located protruding from the passenger side valve cover. The line from this valve hooks to full time manifold vaccum at the base of the carb.

The other half of the system is fresh air intake. When the crankcase is evacuated, the air must be replaced with fresh, filtered air. The other valve cover will have a fitting which will attach to a line, which in turn attaches to the air cleaner base. I think you confused this mechanism for the actual pcv. The fresh air intake line has no manifold vacuum and will not suck vapor.

An easier way is to run a PCV on one side, and a filtered breather on the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode