What to look for? 1 piece 350 block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

What to look for? 1 piece 350 block

I'm looking for a 350 block for 383 build. Needs to be 1 piece seal. I know they became available after 86. Just want to be certain when looking. I also want the mech fuel pump. What would I look for on the block to be certain? I know there are some very knowlegable people on this site.
Thanks,
Scott

69 468 TH400 Moser 373 Orig metal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: What to look for? 1 piece 350 block

Mechanical fuel pump on an 87 block? My truck didn't have one. But I'm not the expert.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Mechanical fuel pump on an 87 block? My truck didn't have one. But I'm not the expert.
most of the blocks are still machined for the fuel pump and came with a blockoff plate on the TBI and Vortec applications, but there are some blocks that have the mounting boss cast but not machined.
as for what to look for- look for the one piece rear main seal retainer- it is an aluminum piece that holds the rear seal and bolts to the block around the back of the crank. the older two piece seal blocks don't have this piece.
also look in the valley under the intake manifold to see if it is setup for a factory roller cam. there will be 4 (i think) stands cast into the center of the valley that are tapped down from the top to bolt down the "spider" that holds the lifter retainers down. also the tops of thel ifter bores are machined down flat so the lifter retainers can sit down flat.
under the timing cover, the area around the front of the cam will be machined flat with 2 bolt holes tapped for the camshaft retianer on the roller cam blocks. the non roller blocks won't have this area machined.
some truck blocks and 86 passenger car blocks with the one piece rear seal don't have the provisions for the roller cam, and others have the stands cast in but not machined. the only sure fire way to tell a one piece rear main roller block from a non roller block is to actually look- you can pop off a valve cover and shine a flashlight down the pushrod or oil drain holes and see if it has the roller cam provisions. the best places to look are in 87 and newer passenger cars or 96-99 trucks and vans with the vortec motors. those all had roller cams and one piece rear seal blocks.
also- make sure it is a 350 and not a 305 by looking at the top surface of the bellhousing. a 305 will say "5.0 liter" and a 350 will say "5.7 liter" in raised cast letters. and you want to make sure you aren't looking at an LT1 block- when they are stripped down to a short block, they look a lot like a regular small block, but the front of the block looks completely different due to the different water pump setup on those compared to a regular small block.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 01:06 PM
Bill

Scott,
One thing you need to be careful of if you plan on using the factory style hydraulic roller lifters. Some of the early 1 pc seal blocks used in trucks "appear" to be machined for the roller lifters but ..... they have a "relief" in the top 1/4" or so of the lifter bore that will bleed off oil pressure if used with the factory style roller lifters I found out the hard way when I used one of those blocks for an engine I built for my 85 Blazer I have attached a picture of the lifter bores to avoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hroller bores.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	13909  

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Scott,
One thing you need to be careful of if you plan on using the factory style hydraulic roller lifters. Some of the early 1 pc seal blocks used in trucks "appear" to be machined for the roller lifters but ..... they have a "relief" in the top 1/4" or so of the lifter bore that will bleed off oil pressure if used with the factory style roller lifters I found out the hard way when I used one of those blocks for an engine I built for my 85 Blazer I have attached a picture of the lifter bores to avoid.
Bill, I am a little confused here. Are you saying that these blocks "look like" a factory roller block, are in fact a tappet block?

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I bet you could tap that and put in a screw or plug.
A lot of the 010 blocks from the late 80's are still flat tappet style, but one piece seals which is a plus. The 010 that I picked up for free was from an 87' truck, flat tappet, not machined for spider tray, and the fuel pump was not cut.
It's prob going to be some what difficult to find a roller with the fuel pump boss machined.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

If you look at complete engines look for a plastic timing cover(that'll get you into the vortec era) and a round flexplate flange, and the flexplate will have a small counterweight. And behind the flezplate the aluminum 1 pc seal housing will be visible but what will catch your eye first is the studs sticking out that hold the seal adapter on.

Looking at bare blocks there's lots of dead give aways. From the front look for the 2 threaded boltholes for the cam thrust washer. At the rear you will see holes/dowel around the rear main for the seal adapter. And above the rear main the 3 oil galleries are on a common boss that is machined flat, unlike the older blocks. From above the bottom of the crankcase back by the rear main on the pan rail there is a bolthole missing on both sides compared to the older blocks(where the 5/16 screws go). Both pan rails are straight as an arrow compared to the old ones but the oil filter side still has a little dogleg.
From the vee,,,,,Ray Charles could spot the 3 threaded bosses in the main oil gallery to secure the spider for the rollers.

Here's some pics I just shot of mine for ya. I bought it outright from my bud who owns a machine shop. It's a .040 over and clearanced for 3.75. I screwed around and let it get wet while I was overhauling my shop, so I get to spend an extra day cleaning this one when I get around to building it. I clean the damthings 1 to 2 days anyway. Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the fuel pump mount, but it is bored for the rod.

Here ya go

Tim Smith
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

If you do use a block like this for a hydralic cam you need to put bolts in the lifter valley where the 3 bosses are. If you leave them out it will not have any oil pressure because oil will squirt thru the holes.

Ask me how I know???

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 07:51 PM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Bill, I am a little confused here. Are you saying that these blocks "look like" a factory roller block, are in fact a tappet block?
Charlie,

That is correct. If you look closely at the lifter bores in the picture I posted, you will see that the top 1/4" or so of the lifter bore is larger that the rest of the bore. If you put a factory style hydraulic roller lifter in one of these blocks, the oil hole in the lifter will come up into that "counterbored" area at full lift and will bleed off oil pressure. The "real" roller blocks are identical except that the lifter bore is the same size all the way to the top.

The blocks are identical in all other respects.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

I have a bare block from an '87 Iroc 5.7 liter, that has had the block ground smooth and painted, and is machined for a 383 crank. It had factory roller lifters and is machined for the mechanical fuel pump. It has been bored .040 over. I can take pictures if there is something in particular you'd like to see. I bought another brand new GM 383 bare block from Sallee Chevrolet for under a $1000, so that might be the way to go.....it comes all machined for the stroker crank........Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode