Timing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

Timing

Hey I have a 82 chev 350 comp cam performer intake and msd ignition , just wondering what the timming would be? when you hit the gas it hesitats and wants to stall out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

Re: Timing

It will start to run rough after the engine has warmed up , and boggs when gas is applyed
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

any ideas? could it be a vacuum leak?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

no one has any ideas?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Check to make sure when the throttle is moved, gas squirts out the squirter at the same time.
Initial timing can be anywhere from 8-14 BTDC. Trial & error.
Adjust mixture screws for best idle rpm.
Yes, could be a vacuum leak. Does engine idle down, to say, 600 rpm?
Vacuum gauge reads? Should be steady at around 15-16".

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

yea my timminh is set to 11 BTDC , I will get a vacumm gauge on it on thursday , and its a edlbrock 650 cfm but it was adjusted and readjusted . just wondering this all started when I adjusted my tranny kick down , its a turbo 250 , but ever since that as soon as the engine warms up a bit it boggs down as soon as you hit the gas, just wondering is there any way the kick down could be doing this?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I wouldn't think kickdown would have anything to do with carb bogging since trans k/down comes into play at WOT, but then who knows........

Can you go back to where you were with the adjustment?

Is there another hole in the linkage to place the accelerator pump linkage, like either get more fuel per squirt or less fuel per squirt?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

theres just the idle screw and the lean screw and rich screw on the front
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

When you say adjusted and re adjusted... are you talking about the idle mixture screws at the front, and idle, just the basic stuff? This won't help, no matter how many times you do it.

You need the correct springs, rods, and jets for your carb.
edelbrock is not the best for performance, and to get dialed in. I'd suggest getting the kit from edelbrock that comes with the parts you need to get it running within range, or switching to a holley, with vac secondaries, correct power valve and jets....

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

oh, what else can you adjust?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

The metering rods, springs, jets, and you can install new idle needles and springs.
Adjusting the idle mixture screws won't do anything for driving, it's only for idle, even then this needs to be done with a vacuum gauge, you can't just guess at it.
Which side is your vacuum line on the carb? Drivers or passengers?

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

my vacume line is on the passenger side, I went to my speed shop today and told them what is happening, the guy suggested to rejet it down to a 650 cfm would this make ence to you? Iam also goin to pick up a vaccune gage today to see what the vacume is at
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

hey I stuck the vacume gauge on I have about 9- 11 PSI , now the instuctions that came with the gauge say that around 10 Psi is either a leaking intake or the timming is off , Also it said that if the needle viberates rappidly then smooths out when you hit the gas means yours rings are smoked. The need will viberate when my engine is running just a bit but my engine was just rebuild by the speed shop , can you give me some input on this gauge
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 12:31 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Did you plug the gauge into the driver side? That is the only side that will give you the correct reading.
Don't listen to the instructions, those are for a stock motor, and a generic motor at that.
Mine makes 5-6" at idle because of the cam's duration, valve timing, overlap etc... and it's a fresh motor.

Put the gauge back on the drivers side, adjust your idle mixture screws one at a time for highest vacuum reading, put a timing light on it with all vac. advance unplugged and plugged up, read timing at idle and report back.
Timing depends on cam size and other variables, for a some what stock motor 8*-12* initial is good, higher for more modded motors. Sounds like your cam is relatively stock.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 10, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
corey

hey ok so I got it to 10-11 psi at 12 BTDC it idle not bad and has pretty good response, my cam is a comp cam its not a extream cam but still has a little bit of choppy idle sorry I cant remember the duration off the top of my head, anyways at idle my engine viberates once and a while, I just threw a new set of plugs in there and now they are fowled agian, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode