How much can I get outa a small block? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Jaiden

How much can I get outa a small block?

I have a 68RS with a 350 in it that i recently purchase.. nothing fancy holley double pum w/vaccuum secondaries.. spacer... torker intake.. mild cam... headers, i beleive the block is out of a '73 half ton truck. Now i am wondering about my engine choice when i rebuild this baby.. (this will be my first restoration) I'm hoping to do it in Wyotech.. but I'm still in high school at the moment. Anyways i have always like the idea of a fire breathing small block, and im wondering what i can do with a small block with natural aspiration. My tranny will be the Tko ready for 600-650 horse, and probably a Moser 12 behind that so nothing to worry about there. How easy will it be to pull 600 horse from a 400, 350, 327 ? but most importantly my favorite, the 383 stroker? considering good combinations and all the ammenites necessary withough NOS or boost? And to fit under a 2in cowl? thanks
P.S would it be worth boring and stroking the existing '73 block and building that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 01:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Re: How much can i get outa a small block?

A good 350 block can handle 600 HP buuilt as a 383 with proper prep. Some good forged parts (rotating assembly) , a good size mechanical roller cam, good breathing aluminum heads will make 600 plus hp.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Re: How much can i get outa a small block?

327-difficult, expensive, not so great on the street.
350-difficult, expensive, a little tamer for the street, but still a lot to handle.
383-easier, still expensive, better than above.
400-optimum, may want to opt for a dart little m or brodix for a block.
You can make a 600hp motor fit under a flat hood, you don't need a massive intake, 12 carb spacers, and multiple stages of nitrous.

Go for a 383, 396(sbc), 400+, those would be the easiest platforms to build power with, but it won't be cheap for 600hp, you need great heads, well though out roller cam, port matching...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Re: How much can I get outa a small block?

out of a 350 or 383 with a good set of aluminum heads (say AFR 220's, no smaller than 210's), 500hp easy with a mech roller, 550 I've done with real good parts and a light weight rotating assy. 600 is going to need some more compression than you'd run on pump gas. I had to work to get it out of 427 inches, it came on and off the dyno twice to get enough compression and flow to do it right. That being said, 500-550 will get you in a lot of trouble And a little blue bottle can always add any needed extra if you get bored with that. The older blocks like you have are good to build from, most have a higher nickle content which is good. You can strap the main caps for a bit of extra strength too. Make sure you get a good rotating assembly as HP on a small block is a factor of rpm, spin her up around 7000 and it will be fine. I have some old cam combinations around if you are interested in what gave what HP on the dyno. -Dan

62 Corvette (Stock Restoration)
68 RS/SS Camaro, LS7/T56
68 RS Convertible project LS3/480/4L70
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode