505 stroker build – All input welcome - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

505 stroker build – All input welcome

As some of you may know from my other thread, my 454 wasted a crank thrust bearing and the motor is getting rebuilt. I’ll document this build here via this thread. There are several 496 stroker builds going on here as we speak but why not another one and slightly bigger at that! I am only in the early stages so some things have not been ironed out but soon will be. I am sure there will be plenty of questions too. Here is what I know for sure now.

I welcome all input/suggestions.

I am starting out with a 2-bolt main BBC 454 060 over, soon to be punched out to 100 over.
Block casting number is 14015445. Based on where you look, this casting # was used 75-87 or 78-90. All places agree with this casting # being used in light duty trucks.
Engine ID number is T1119AKX (T=Tonawanda, 1119=Nov 19, AKX=1986 Truck Trans LE-8 VIN W,20,30). Not sure about the last part. LE-8 transmission? W,20,30?
Block date code – see picture below. I am still trying to figure that one out.

So far…
The block has been stripped and tanked.
The block passed initial visual inspection.

Next…
Sonic test (this is going to be a .100 over bore so need to make sure there is no major core shifts going on).
Magnaflux test assuming sonic test is good.
Deck measurements and some machine work to index the block.
Bore/hone .100.
Convert to 4 bolt splayed mains (right now the plan is to only do the 3 center mains).
Align bore.

That’s all for now…

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 10:52 PM
Tech Team
Al Smith

Send a message via AIM to The Big Al
Re: 505 stroker build – All input welcome

I am not sure how hard your gonna beat on this thing.

Unless your going to use a blower, or it's going to live on NOS it complete life or high compression.

A 2 bolt block with ARP studs is mighty strong.

4 bolt main is highly over rated. It's nothing more than something to brag about.

IMO
Al

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Dante'

I would not go .100 over. Have you considered a Dart short block?

69 Camaro SS

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity1 View Post
I would not go .100 over. Have you considered a Dart short block?
X2,, You can sink big bucks in these stocker blocks and still not have room to grow. Dart or BigM or consider Shaffiroff short block with BB3 heads? Put a little excitment in your life.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Shaffiroff builds excellent engines.
I agree with what was said about the 4-bolt main caps, mostly bragging rights, but any time you put a big stroker crank in, you risk cap walk especially if it's a hi po build or lots of rpm's.
Look into reher-morrison also, it seems they mostly build high power high dollar race engines, but you can work with them to build a good, slightly less expensive streetable combo.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
X2,, You can sink big bucks in these stocker blocks and still not have room to grow. Dart or BigM or consider Shaffiroff short block with BB3 heads? Put a little excitment in your life.
I'm looking at the Dart blocks right now. I have a fresh engine on the stand that can't grow any more. I'm kind of looking down the road, so to speak, and have some regrets not going with a Dart block. I'd have at least 3 or 4 more builds if I went the aftermarket route. The one on the stand, well thats all for that one, can't be punched any more. I wish you the best in this build, and look forward to your progress.

Ken

1969 Camaro
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Unless you are looking at going to a much larger engine in the near future I would not buy a Dart block. If you were trying to build a 400 SBC, I would say go with the Dart. Production BBC blocks are very strong and boring them .100" over is not a problem. You don't need to spend $2,300+ on a block.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

You're going to find alot of engine builders don't like to go .100 over.
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 05:53 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

Great thread!!!!...i have a 468 in my ol truck, i see a eagle 511 kit for them that looks like something i would want, 10.5:1 comp etc..have you looked at that??
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

They make .070 over pistons,use them and you will have 2 or 3 more rebuilds left in this engine.Get a crank kit,piece mealing it gets very expensive.I make over 900hp on nitrous with 2 bolt mains and studs,broke lots of stuff in the car,but the mains always look like new.Your block isnt one of the notoriously thick blocks,so Keep the bore to a minimum.

If you really want to go bigger,you can piece meal a 4.375" cank into there.The newer "3D" profiled H beam rods fit the 4.25 stroke with room to spare.If you arent running a lot of nitrous you can get real short pistons and squeeze it all in with 6.385" rods,the pistons will be short but it's a few more cubes for a street or bracket race engine.
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 06:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

My builder when he built my motor, said you can go 100 over with the GM block i have which is a early 70's block 2-bolt main and still would have some meet on the block.... We ended up going 70 over making a 498ci and it runs very cool and with more room to go. I agree Matt, stay safe or go with another block (498 is bad a$$).

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Regarding not boring .100 over...that was my initial thought as well on a another thread. I actually put RIP next to the block but a bunch of you here convinced me that boring a BBC .100 over is not that uncommon. Some of these BBC get bored .125 and have no issues. I did a bunch of internet research, read/reading "Big-Block Chevy by Frieburger", "Chevy Rat Motors by Staffel", "Engine Blueprinting by Voegelin" and "Big Block Chevy Performance by Emanuel" as well as talked with several engine builders around town. Seems like the conclusion is that .100 bore on a BBC is not a big deal AS LONG AS THERE IS NO CORE SHIFT. I am hoping the sonic test will answer/confirm that. At the same time no one can argue that a Dart block is a sure thing. Original plan was to keep driving the car with the 454 while I build a 540 blown Dart block, eventually putting the 540 in the car and rebuilding the 454 for another car. Well, that plan changed when the 454 got trashed. I am not ready (financially) to start a Dart project as between the block, blower, fuel injection (leaning towards that instead of dual carbs) the cost just goes through the roof. I think I am stuck with this block unless I get flooded with a bunch more "Don't do it..." or Sonic test that tells me not to. Converting to 4-bolt main....I don't think the cost is that bad and having that mental insurance is just a comforting thing to have in the back of your mind. I really do appreciate all the good comments. Keep them coming...

Matt

post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
My builder when he built my motor, said you can go 100 over with the GM block i have which is a early 70's block 2-bolt main and still would have some meet on the block.... We ended up going 70 over making a 498ci and it runs very cool and with more room to go. I agree Matt, stay safe or go with another block (498 is bad a$$).
Skip,
Did you go from .030 to .070 or from .060 to .070 or ? I am already at .060 and not sure if going to .070 would be enough to "get it all".

Matt

post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Skip,
Did you go from .030 to .070 or from .060 to .070 or ? I am already at .060 and not sure if going to .070 would be enough to "get it all".
Matt i went from 30 to 70 over. Ill look for my specs for you.

post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 10, 07:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode