Thrown rod...can the block still be used?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 10, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thrown rod...can the block still be used??

I have a chevy 350 1974 and the #5 rod was thrown partially out of the oil pan. After removing the pan the only major damage that could be seen was on the very bottom of the #6 cylinder it had a small chip the size of half of your pinky nail broken off.... Can I just smooth the edges and do a rebuild or is that enough to kill it?? Thank for your help. I will post pics tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 10, 04:41 AM
Banned

Re: Thrown rod...can the block still be used??

Quote:
Originally Posted by life4christt View Post
I have a chevy 350 1974 and the #5 rod was thrown partially out of the oil pan. After removing the pan the only major damage that could be seen was on the very bottom of the #6 cylinder it had a small chip the size of half of your pinky nail broken off.... Can I just smooth the edges and do a rebuild or is that enough to kill it?? Thank for your help. I will post pics tomorrow
That should not hurt anything,
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 10, 04:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Life,

When you take the block to the machine shop just get them to check it for cracks to be sure.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 10, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Only way to know for sure it to have it checked.If it isnt leaking water and it is as small as you say,then you can clean up the edges and use it.I might be concerned if it were a short rod 383 since the piston skirts come further out of the bore,but in a 350 you should have no issues with a small chip.I have seen guys fix some really wrecked stuff.I have seen blocks banged right into water where the owner had a ton of machine work in it and would sleeve the one hole and then half fill the block.Thrown rods are always a train wreck.Back when aluminum rods were more common there were more thrown rods,but less damage.Now almost all bracket engine builders use steel rods,which hold up better,but when they go,they really go.Good luck with fixing your block.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Sometimes you wish they'd break...
I saw an aluminum big block with steel rods once that had a piston break right at the pin boss. The steel rod all but sawed the block in half. If it had broken, he'd still have a useable block, but it still made for quite a conversation piece in the shop. Some idiot came in and offered him a grand for it, so it's now someone else's mechanical failure sculpture.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

I think by what you are saying it should be ok!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 10, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Thrown rod...can the block still be used??

Is it below where the rings on the piston stop, when they are moving in the bore ? Is it even where the piston may contact ? Remember, not all of the cylinder is actually used.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode