Looking for input, New Build - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nick

Looking for input, New Build

I will be building in the next few months and was wondering if you guys could give me a little help.

What I want to accomplish- I am looking to get around 450 horse 450 torque, not to crazy but I want it to be there when I want.

What I have- I am starting off with a 69 4 bolt main 350, Dart IE 64CC,202/190,210cc. I have a performer intake and edelbrock 750 electric choke.

I want to bore and stroke this motor to a 383. Is it possible for me to get to those numbers with the setup I have, I know that the cam will be a decisive factor with this, I have not chosen a cam so any input would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I are expecting are first child within the next two weeks so I have to be budget concious.

The car is an original 327 4 speed car and has been in my family since 1972. Being that I don't want to beat up on the original engine I am going to pull it and crate it up for safe being.

Thank you ahead of time for all your input and I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Re: Looking for input, New Build

First thing is your gonna have to loose the 750 edelbrock, it prob wouldn't support close to 500 horses.
Are the heads 2.02/1.60 valves? Or are the 190cc or 200cc runners, I don't understand that part in your post. You can't have 2.02" intakes and 1.90" exhaust valves.
You are probably going to want a good roller cam, or large solid flat tappet cam if money doesn't allow for a roller.
somewhere around 10.5:1-11:1 comp, around .550" lift, and maybe some mild head work will get you 450 no doubt.
Get the block checked and machined thoroughly, decked and so on...
Look @ scat for a rotating assembly, they are pretty good and will save you some money, also callies is good.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

forget about the numbers and build to the application. 450 & 450 sounds nice, but at what rpms?

What trans will you use? what gearing? What will you do with the car?

And yes, a nicely built 383 will do that and more, though I dunno about this budget crap.
mine will spin to 7k, run 12's, get 23 mpg on the highway, and lug down under 2000 rpm pulling a 2:1 final drive (3.08 gear, .64 OD, really.)

Compression / drcr / cam duration: You want to get the DCR up around 8.5:1, so shoot for 10:1 - 11:1 static depending on the cam.

Heads: An "all purpose motor" like mine needs efficient heads, heads that will produce high flow & high velocity, and not fall flat at low rpm. I run AFR 295 elimitators.

Valvetrain: Lots of thoughts here, and most will get the job done. I run a fairly short hydraulic roller with .550 lift and 110 lsa. My valve train is very very light, that helps the HR rev. A solid flat tappet setup works almost as good for 1/3 the dollars.

Tuning: Tuning is everything. I cheated and put on a cheap laptop tunable EFI system. Alternative is to marry a holley guru who owns a sun distributor machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk_aholic View Post
I will be building in the next few months and was wondering if you guys could give me a little help.

What I want to accomplish- I am looking to get around 450 horse 450 torque, not to crazy but I want it to be there when I want.

What I have- I am starting off with a 69 4 bolt main 350, Dart IE 64CC,202/190,210cc. I have a performer intake and edelbrock 750 electric choke.

I want to bore and stroke this motor to a 383. Is it possible for me to get to those numbers with the setup I have, I know that the cam will be a decisive factor with this, I have not chosen a cam so any input would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I are expecting are first child within the next two weeks so I have to be budget concious.

The car is an original 327 4 speed car and has been in my family since 1972. Being that I don't want to beat up on the original engine I am going to pull it and crate it up for safe being.

Thank you ahead of time for all your input and I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Nick
Honestly, if I were you I would go into the member classifieds here at TC and take a good look at MKelcy's 383 for sale....it hits the HP you desire and can't be built for what he is asking. Hardly any time on it and high quality parts.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

He hasn't sold that yet?

I've followed the engine over the beartooth mountains (google it or search this site for the pics and the story.) That is a solid setup without a doubt.

Somebody should buy that motor.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
He hasn't sold that yet?

I've followed the engine over the beartooth mountains (google it or search this site for the pics and the story.) That is a solid setup without a doubt.

sold to a friend of mine, we're picking it up Saturday.

Jody

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nick

I just checked on it and it sold! Sorry about that 2.02/160 with 200cc runers.

It has a saginaw 4 speed sportin 3.73 gears in the rear. The car will be a street cruiser it will see very little strip time. I just want a reliable street car that I can pound on every once in a while.

How do I determine SCR vs DCR?

Also if you guys could excuse my ignorance and help me understand on how to read a cam it would be great.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 08:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Quote:
He hasn't sold that yet?

If I was in the slightest need of a street friendly SBC I woulda pulled the trigger on it. Well, as long as he painted it a color other than yellow

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 08:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Heads: An "all purpose motor" like mine needs efficient heads, heads that will produce high flow & high velocity, and not fall flat at low rpm. I run AFR 295 elimitators.
Those are some BIG SBC heads.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 10, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk_aholic View Post
I just checked on it and it sold! Sorry about that 2.02/160 with 200cc runers.

It has a saginaw 4 speed sportin 3.73 gears in the rear. The car will be a street cruiser it will see very little strip time. I just want a reliable street car that I can pound on every once in a while.

How do I determine SCR vs DCR
?

Also if you guys could excuse my ignorance and help me understand on how to read a cam it would be great.
Static is the constant value, what most people say when you ask them the comp of their motor "oh it's 10:1" and so on, DCR is always lower than static and is determined by the cam's valve timing.
Find a calculator and input cams that get you a DCR from 8.1-8.5

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode